New Build starting have lots of questions

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

New Build starting have lots of questions

Postby Wild Doogie » Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Good Day Skippers,

I have a IFG Registered Hull/Ballast and also have both books that seem a little out dated "2nd Printing 1997" for Optimizing. Don't get me wrong...the books are GREAT :!: ,just didn't know if you work from that or ask at forums like this one. Currently getting started in gathering data, planning and ordering hardware etc and was not sure if there is any updated information and photos of some current builds? Example in Optimizing, I read about the pivoting masthead crane, is that beneficial as to fixed or is there something new available? Also, is the winch the best method for main/jib sail trim over an arm set up? Some of these new digital servos have lots of speed and torque and are programmable.

Cheers,

Wild Doogie :D

AMYA 17277
Club #0163
Wild Doogie

Re: New Build starting have lots of questions

Postby bigfoot55 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Doug,
my first recommendation, worth what you pay me for it, is that you look at a lot of the boats at the regatta in St Augustine next week, ask questions and take pictures. You will find lots of opinions and help and we look forward to seeing you.
Second, there are some helps and links in the new MODEL YACHTING you should find helpful. The articles are also on line in an expanded form. Scott Vernon has some good ideas. (and forget the rocking crane).
And third, make use of the search function on this site, and the ec12.info building site. The books are great references but you will see some new ways to rig.

KISS principle-' keep it simple stoopid', works for many of us. Baron Bremer does not use a jib trim.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Wild Doogie » Thu May 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks Tom for your feedback ...I was not sure if skippers/owners like to be bothered or have someone take photos of their pride and joy etc. I'll be ready now. We are looking forward to attend the regatta. :mrgreen:
Wild Doogie

Postby bigfoot55 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm

You should be getting the MODEL YACHTING magazine shortly, I got mine today.

For the expanded articles and photos included on the building site, go to: See ec12.info link: http://ec12.info/MY/MY168.htm
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby hedderick » Fri May 11, 2012 10:48 am

Doug,
I'll be at St Augustine. You are more than welcome to come ask questions and take pictures of my yellow boat #38. The Theme in this class is to help everybody get up to speed and go fast. Tom's advise is right on. Keep it simple. See how most people do things. Then get your boat set up in a similar way. Once your get up to speed, you can try some more innovative stuff. Then you can show me how you go so fast.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Wild Doogie » Fri May 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey Richard,

Yellow 38? Well...I was planning on a yellow EC-12 as well. Can ya clone em? :lol: I want to thank you for the offer and advise Sir. I will have my camera ready in hand look forward to meeting you. I'm a big fan of the K.I.S. philosophy as well.

Cheers!

Doug
Wild Doogie

Postby Bigjake » Mon May 14, 2012 4:09 am

Doug,

I have gone through the same process as you are in. Here is my experience.

I bought the books and studied them. The optimizing one gave me a lot of theoretical information and some practical ones. Then I went to various regattas and club events and took literaly hundred of photos. What I discovered was that just about everyone is doing the same thing differently. I am great follower of the KISS principle and thus have looked at how people did a certain thing and copied the simplest. On the most part it worked but not always and in those instances I went back and redid things. As an example, I am now in my 3rd radio board...

So, go and look at boats, take photos (no one has ever stopped me, on the contrary), talk to people and then go ahead a do whatever you think make the most sense. This is one of the great things about our hobby. Good Luck.

Jake
Blue 22
Bigjake

Postby Rick West » Mon May 14, 2012 11:16 am

If you would like to look at some thing you have a question about, the building site is the best source. it is an old site design wise but the tried and true process of building is there.

With a short kit to start; removable ballast, the System Board and the standard rig, it is about as simple as it can be. Simple is light, reliable and as fast as you need to be. Nothing complicated. The rest is in the thumbs and your view of what you see on the water.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 pm

I'd add being able to get at and repair a failed component is important.Notice how many "radio boards" you see? This lets you pull the "guts" out so you can easily change out the part that went down.I know-you will build it BULLETPROOF-but stuff happens.
Welcome aboard,can't wait to sail with you.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Sails & Rigs