Traveling with sails....

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Traveling with sails....

Postby marcsmith » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:46 pm

ok...I have a Stall Soft Case with three dividers one for each rig... My current car is a Chevy HHR (small wagon) with the rigs hanging from the roof they stretch from the tailgate to front passenger window.. which means traveling with a passenger is not possible unless I hand the sails along the centerline of the car between the driver and passenger. Not something I like.

Plenty of space behind the seats for two boats, tool box, luggage, ect...

All of the ready made rooftop boxes, thule, yakima, ect are too long, too tall, to skinny, to fat, too flimsy, ect... I had a nice fiberglass one that was destroyed in an accident and the replacement is close to 1000 bucks...

So I've been thinking... about aluminum. I have a the resources at work to bend, weld, and we do enough business with a metal company that a 4x8 sheet of polished diamond plate is about 100 bucks..... and I'd need two of them...

I'm thinking 27" wide. 80" long 8-10" tall. with a slight "wedge" shape 2-3" tall at the front for a couple feet and then full heigh for the final 4 feet. this would give me the ability to carry an easy up, chairs, table, ect..with the sails...

the lid would fit like a shoebox top...not sure about a hinge, although if I went with a a continuous taper, from 4" to 10" rather than a bend in the cover as shown, I could put a hinge on one side... or I could do some sort of a "scissor lift" on the ends with a gas strut so I could load from either side..

thoughts, comments, ideas? or am I juts messed in the head?
Attachments
sailbox.jpg
sailbox.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
2081 EC12, 1575 EC12 Both For Sale
81 Victoria
181 RG65
1981 Soling 1 Meter
681 IOM under construction
marcsmith

Re: Traveling with sails....

Postby IrishAye » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Mark,

That seem like a great idea.....I know that I have had problems just storing sails in the Florida heat so I would suggest that you consider ventillation . Perhaps some 2" Holes along the sides and Rear of the box.

Also use insulation to isolate the heat from the sails.

Hope it all works out OK.

If you make it please post some pic of the finished masterpiece...............you may be an inspiration to others with Fiber glassing skills to make something also.

Martin Gray
Irish-aye
IrishAye

Re: Traveling with sails....

Postby marcsmith » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:17 pm

well, I'mback form my trip to Golf Mecca. AKA The Masters... could only afford watching the practice rounds...

Before I left I did make a small version out of sheet metal to test some theories...

Looks like if I want a wedge shape the opens from the side then I need to have the lid not "beveled" like in the pic above... ie just a continuous line which is doable. the brake bender at work can only bend two of the four sides at 90*. the other two sides it can only do 45* of course I coudl two 45* on the ends to get my 90* but I think I'd end up with more welding work...than I would if I juts welded the ends on.

I may try a test peice of aluminum bend it at 45* and then go the rest of the way by hand... and see if I can get it so it looks nice, that way I only have to weld the corners... I will keep folks appraised...

never really though about makeing one out of fiberglass. I guess I could take some Luan and make my case and then do several layers of glass inside and out for durability and strength... but I think the glass, and epoxy would get pretty pricey..
2081 EC12, 1575 EC12 Both For Sale
81 Victoria
181 RG65
1981 Soling 1 Meter
681 IOM under construction
marcsmith

Return to Sails & Rigs