cb associates butt hinge for old time rig builders

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

cb associates butt hinge for old time rig builders

Postby s vernon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:40 pm

The cb associates 1010 butt hinge is now available as the 2212 butt hinge. It is the same part, just a new part number.

For home builders it makes a sweet and easy pivot for our boom and vang.

See Ivan's post and mine right after Ivan's to find the supplier/parts online. I just received my order today in the mail. Quick service.

Inserting the brass tube / assembling the hinge. You might find that there is a bit of plastic blocking the way. After you get it together which might take a lot of fidgeting, you might need to trim some flashing from the barrel of the hinge to keep it from "clicking" as it rotates past the flashing. Make sure you do not push the small bushing all the way out as you try to insert the longer brass piece. It is all finess - no strength involved. You just need to get the holes to line up, obviously. Eventually the brass piece will go and then it will probably fall right back out. It is probably better to buy a long brass tube that extends thru both hinges like Danny has done. The top of that tube can be squeezed slightly to keep it in place. This also aligns the axis of the two hinges.

It looks like the reason they changed the part number is becsuse the parts now have the short brass inserts in place.

Image showing Gerhard's rig and another using a teardrop mast on Paul Proefrocks site.
http://www.ec12.net/images/Bldg_Ideas/L ... eneck4.jpg

http://www.ec12.net/images/Bldg_Ideas/L ... /Mast1.jpg

I think it is best to trim the forward hinge piece and wrap it to the mast similar to the first pic of Gerhard's rig - worry about strength and not worry about offset. Danny has 2 pins on each hinge running thru the mast sideways to help hold the hinges to the mast. Perhaps some epoxy as well.

Bob Wells said in his books that "the parts are no longer available and that is okay because they really are not that strong." However you can look at a lot of rigs like Danny Thomas's that have put in uncountable races and have survived.

Here is a link to an image of Danny's Ozmun.

http://picasaweb.google.com/scottveee/B ... 7382665522

Scott
s vernon

Postby ivorcwalton » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm

CB2212 Butt hinges can be ordered on-line from the Model Engine Corporation of America at www.mecoa.com. They come in a packet of four for $6.95.

Ivor Walton
ivorcwalton

Postby s vernon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Thank you Ivor. That looks more reliable than the vendors I found.

But the way to find the 2212 is to go to the hinge page or the cb associates/tatone page (both same page) and hit 2213 or 2214 as the 2212 is not listed for sale on that easy to find page.

I guess they want to keep more of those in stock by not making them easy to buy. Good news for us. :-)

I will give it a try.

Scott
Last edited by s vernon on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s vernon

Re: cb associates butt hinge for old time rig builders

Postby s vernon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:14 pm

I just want to add a couple pointers to make the rig build job easier when using these hinges. I have had trouble lining up the hinge parts and then inserting the small brass tube. It goes more smoothly if I use a 7/64th diameter drill bit as an alignment tool. put the boom and its hinge piece in place, Insert the bit in the hole and then insert the small brass tube into the other side and work the brass tube all the way in. That makes it much quicker for me.

Also I like now to tie a loop thru the axis of the hinge, using small Spectra line, in order to trap that small brass tube and keep it from falling on the deck while sailing. That seems like a better way than using a cotter pin (instead of that tube) or enlerging the top end of that tube to make it jam in place. The cotter pin trick just gives you a sloppy gooseneck/vang.

This is the link to my part of the Model Yachting build article online.
http://www.ec12.info/MY/MY168Vernon.htm
Scott
s vernon

Return to Sails & Rigs