Simplified Rigging

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Simplified Rigging

Postby Tyler » Mon May 10, 2004 1:20 am

Is there any precident for a rig configuration that doesn't utilize spreaders? I'm just looking or a rig setup that is simple and portable. I'd like to take my EC12 with me cruising, but it's difficult to find room for a full-blown rig. The idea came after watching a fellow boater pull out his RC-Lasers... The rig is so SIMPLE! The mast-in-trunk idea is great and if it could be applied to an EC12, I'd be set. Just something I thought I'd through out there... Thanks!
Tyler

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon May 10, 2004 10:45 pm

Sure you can do it that way, the thing you need to consider is what is most important to *you* just having the boat along with you, or having a rig that you can get maximum use for tuning and racing. You can hit a happy medium I am sure between the two. Even so far as to consider a two part mast if need be. If the spreaders are the problem, just make them to where they are removable. Not a big deal, and many different ways to accomplish this. VORTEX ENGINEERING actually setup their Santa Barbara's this way. The spreaders are hollow airfoil aluminum and rest on pegs that fit through the mast. When there is tension on the stays, they are held tightly in place. When you drop the mast for travel, they hang around on the stay wire (along side the mast)ready to go back in place when you rig up next time.

I have a J boat that works the same way, same principle. The spreaders are non-load bearing (for all practical purposes) and are there just to shape the stays as needed. If you could only fold the hull... then you would have something.
Larry Ludwig

Return to Sails & Rigs