Adjustments on Jib & Main Booms

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Adjustments on Jib & Main Booms

Postby skip241 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 am

Rebuilding existing rigs and trying to figure out the best way of making outhaul, luff, topping lift and sheet adjustments on the jib and main booms. Seen plenty of clean ideas at regattas, but, this old fart can't remember how it was done. Are there any pictures out there with good examples of these? Would you be willing to share yours? Thanks!

Skip [:D]
skip241

Postby s vernon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 am

Skip,

I have noticed that you are pretty sharp in copying the way people like John B do things. You both had the internal setup for a while. John B's light air rig (maybe all of his rigs) has bowsies sliding on lines stretched on the side of the boom. I know you have done it that way in the past. You can go to the ATL Club site and click on "photographs" and see Tom Germers boom pics. John B's is similar.

http://atlmyc.org/

I am not a fan of bowsies sliding on the side of the boom as a boat's stay can wedge in between the bowsie and the string in a crash unless the bowsie is up forward on the boom (inside the "stay triangle"/ie within the width of the deck. It is just as easy to put the sliding bowsie on the bottom of the boom out of harm's way.

I like the way Baron has his which is with a fish clip tied/looped to the boom. I took pictures of that at St Augustine Natls.

One thing with both of those is that the sheet line can droop from the boom. I like to tape it with a spot of blue masking tape to keep it tensioned along the boom.

I hope other people reply to this as well as there are a lot of different ways to do this job.

I need to give credit to the ever improving Eric the racer for updating the ATL club website.

Scott
s vernon

Postby geeks2you » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 pm

you can check this crude photo of how Tom explained that he rigs his jib boom. He has a slide in jib boom counterweight and the elastic inside the boom. His bowsie is up top for adjustment as a few people seem to be running these days as well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Sa ... directlink

Let me know if the pic does not make sense.

Eric Olson
Atlanta Model Yacht Club
AtlMYC.org
geeks2you

Return to Sails & Rigs