Mast & Boom Lengths. (Long)

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Mast & Boom Lengths. (Long)

Postby pgfaini » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Skippers, I'm in the home stretch of rebuilding my old Dumas, working hard to make the Triangle Cup in Raleigh, and have only, in addition to tank testing and trimming, making up of the rigs left. I've got one new set of John B. "A" sails, and several Goldspar blanks, with which to make the mast and spars. Originally, I was planning to use the same rig for all three sets of sails,(I've ordered the other two sets), but after reading and seeing what happened at the Champion's Regatta, I've decided three rigs were in order, and so have ordered the necessary fittings.
Nowhere, have I seen mention made about reducing the masts proportionally for the smaller sails, but closely looking over the photos of sail boxes at the regattas, shows that they are. Can't tell if the booms are also reduced in length, though.

In addition, doesn't shortening the masts call for modifying the placing of the shrouds, spreaders, and jumpers, proportionally?

Am I correct in this? Is all this "Common Knowledge" and so not mentioned? Also, can I just use a 12-13oz. lead pig to set the waterline, or do I have to weigh the rigs, and make up a pig of the same weight for each? If the rigs have to be weighed, won't I have to adjust the ballast for each? How is the pre-race tank testing done at regattas?
Any info and opinions, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Paul #614
pgfaini

Postby s vernon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:29 pm

The question of mast length and stay placement for B rigs has been asked and answered several times. Just look on various pages of "sails and rigs" and you will find informative threads. There is some info on the current page 7 as well as on several other pages.

John B has a C rig. If there is no info here then I am sure he would be happy to tell you his numbers for that rig and also his B if you give him a call.

Boom lengths do not change. All of the various sized sails have same foot length.

12 to 13 ounces is standard. You do not need to worry about the exact weight of each rig for trimming the ballast/setting the waterline length of the boat.

There is no measuring done at a typical regatta. It is pretty much an honor system, but measuring could be done. Don't go there expecting to be measured/tanked at the regatta. Be surprised if your boat does get measured/tanked. Measuring/tanking is done at Nationals and some regionals.

If you do not finish building your C rig in time you will probably be okay. C rig is rarely used.

Scott
s vernon

Postby pgfaini » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks Scott, I didn't scroll down that far, but did a couple of searches with no results. Probably the wrong wording. I'll be giving John B. a call, was expecting to talk to him in Atlanta, but was unable to make it.

Paul #614
pgfaini

Postby kahle67 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes, the booms are the same length and everything on the mast is 10% lower on the B rig.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Return to Sails & Rigs