vector rigs

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

vector rigs

Postby marcsmith » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:04 am

How many folks are using the vector rig?

I'm getting ready to build my rig, and I was thinking about the vector... but then I started thinking about transporting as well...

The vector rig doesn't look like its as easily transported as the single spreader rig? since you got the jumpers going in on direction and the spreaders in the other... Are the spreaders on the vector removable?

I would think that the vector spreaders are not removable since they are angled backwards and you are pulling the shrouds back to get you mast bend Id be concerned with them coming off the Posts on the mast?

What am I missing?
marcsmith

Postby deafsail » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:31 pm

deafsail

Postby USA1910 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:54 am

Marc;

If you send me your personal email address and or phone number I can fill you in better on some of the finer points of the Vector Rig.

Jake Leo
vectorsails@yahoo.com
USA1910

Postby marcsmith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:01 am

email sent,

I did build the rig from the figures on the ec12 site. looks like a nice rig...We'll see how it does this weekend...

I still need to figure out the best way to transport...:)
marcsmith

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Is the round mast absolutley necessary for the vector rig? I have several of the conventional masts and would like to build one.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Rick West » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:29 pm

It is matter of shroud tensions to get the fore and aft mast bend you want via the spreaders. My guess is the Goldspar will be much stiffer to resist pre-bend. It could produce less needed tension on the backstay but not like the Groovy, which is none in tuning.

Lateral stability is enhanced with two spreaders on the Goldspar if that is important.

If you try it be prepared for different dynamics to the mast with the positioning of the spreaders and the higher lower-lower shrouds.

I look forward to seeing its performance at Liberty Bell.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby MichaelJ2K » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rick West</i>

I look forward to seeing its performance at Liberty Bell.

...94 [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks for the tips Rick. I can't say that I'll have it ready in time; I better clean off the bench and get cracking.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Return to Sails & Rigs