Jib attachment to deck

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jib attachment to deck

Postby Albert Stall » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:08 am

I've had my mast knocked down 3 times now by someone hooking the jib forestay and disconnecting it from the rack.

The way I had it arranged was with a ring, ball bearing swivel, and a hook. It seems the ring is not strong enough to resist a hit and it uncoils and down it all comes.

I've seen various ways of attaching all but thought I would put it out there and see what the Discussion site thinks.

Thanks,

Al Stall
Albert Stall

Postby geeks2you » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:22 am

Eagle Claw has a new series of equipment called the "laser" line for fishing equipment. They have new rings that are oval and very small, but use heavy gauge wire for their size. I think I am using size 3 and they are about 3/8" long and are 40# strength. I have the same basic setup on my new jib boom, but I used 120# spectra as the "ring" and tied it between the BB swivel and the hook, then even wrapped a few turns to around the loop to keep it all set correctly. seems to work great so far but havent taken any hits of force yet.

Eric Olson
Atlanta Model Yacht Club
AtlMYC.org
geeks2you

Postby kahle67 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Eliminate the split rings. In my past experience they are always the weakest link when used under high and constant loads unless soldered.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Return to Sails & Rigs