Help and/or ideas for a bare hull

The Auction is a good place to watch. Beware, this is where knockoffs surface or boats never registered. Verification of the hull is reguired before registration or transfer...Class Secretary.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Help and/or ideas for a bare hull

Postby Usagi » Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 pm

I have an EC-12 hull, Robin 0002 Sail # 1575, that was given to me. It had hull cracks and the deck was trashed. I've re-glassed the cracks and taken off the trashed deck. The boat had nothing else, no sales, servos, fittings etc.

I see that some used EC-12's go for as little as $400, which is probably less than I'll have to pay if I have to buy a new main winch, servos, sails, rig etc for this one so I'm looking for ideas. My finances are rather limited.

Usagi

~~Usagi~~
Usagi

Postby greerdr » Mon May 19, 2008 9:50 pm

You are in a very interesting position.The boat is "historic" Robin # 2 ; assuming it is registered with the class.If not it is a beautiful fireplace decoration.
You will have to put out some money to make that boat go.Look at the class supliers page to get a feel for the current prices for gear.
The great news is you are close to a GIANT in the EC-12 class-Frank Angel.He can answer almost anything you might need to know re the boat's rebuild.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby kahle67 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:39 pm

Not only Frank but the very active Triangle Model Yacht Club sailing on Lake Johnson. Was there just two weeks ago sailing in a 17 boat fleet. Try this http://www.trianglemyc.org/.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Usagi » Mon May 19, 2008 11:31 pm

I am a member of Triangle Model Yacht Club. I was there for the Regatta two weeks ago also.

The boat is registered and I was given the registration card also. I've contacted Rick West and transfered the registration. I'm now just waiting for the registration packet he said he's sent. The card I have says Certified Date 05/01 but I have the impression that the boat is older than that.

I have a lot of experience with glassing on big boats. In order to re-glass the problem areas, mainly the keel from the stem to the keel, I had to sand through the gel coat to get down to bare glass. The tip of the bow was also broken off and I've fixed that. I used polyester, not epoxy. I plan on repainting rather than trying to redo the gel coat.

~~Usagi~~
Usagi

Postby Rick West » Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 am

Bob,
As I understand you have been given this boat. That says something but I have sailed against it and it was not a slouch. You are in a rich building environment of hobbyists. You have good resources where you are.

If the boat is beyond its time the hull is not. You cannot refit a free boat to correct that which is not quite right and needs new equipment. I do not know how to say it but the EC12 is not Victoria and parts to totally refit an older boat with a good hull is weltl over $600 if not close to $1000. Building a new boat today is close to $1500 in parts from scratch.

I would suggest you talk about with your group and develop a suggested plan. We are here to help so let us know.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Usagi » Tue May 20, 2008 12:51 am

I have a Victoria and that's what I'm racing now at TMYC. Hence there isn't any hurry to get this on the water.

I have a few pictures of the hull here:
http://www.bob-betts.com/gallery2/main. ... emId=14218

I've only repaired broken glass and I haven't changed the hull in any way so I don't believe there is any violation of class rules.

I will post with my group and see if there are any other ideas. I am beginning to suspect that refitting sails, rig, servos, winch etc will cost a lot. However I am quite skilled and I believe I may end up with a boat that is worth more than I've put into it. If so, I can't complain but it may not sail this year.

~~Usagi~~
Usagi

Postby Rick West » Tue May 20, 2008 12:00 pm

I assume you have been to the class building site, www.ec12.info. There, if you will look through the structure deck and the classic rig you will find this to be the least expensive process, meaning it is less expensive to buying a molded deck.

You have radio gear already so you are well along. You can advertise for radio board equipment. While you have all out of the boat you should build the system board with the sheetline attached as shown on the building site. For the EC12 the drum RMG winch is the way to go and having a removeable sheetline system is the best approach that we have now for function and service.

When you removed the ballast was there any separation to the keel seam of the hull? I ask because it looks like you worked this area. The inside looks fine and this should be a good refit as you have started from the bare hull. The is excellent.

Part of the enjoyment of the EC12 is the building and crafting. It is the hobby part of the recreation.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Usagi » Tue May 20, 2008 12:54 pm

I've read through much of the building site. I enjoy building as much as racing, possibly more.

I didn't remove the ballast. The glass was very thin in the area between the ballast and the rudder, the well. That is one place it had cracked. I sanded through the gel coat and through most of the glass to get down to bare glass. Polyester works fine as long as it's bonding to bare glass. I found that after I had built it back up to the level of the gel coat with mat, it was still quite thin. So I added two layers of mat on the inside of the well. On the outside I kept opening air pockets, sanding them out, then adding a drop or so of resin until I had smoothed and eliminated air bubbles so I can paint it.

On the inside I roughed up the glass at the seam then added two layers of mat to the seam from stem to the keel ballast and also from the back of the well to the stern. The back part looked like it wasn't leaking but the seam flexed easily which gave me the impression that the glass was broke. It's quite stiff now.

My plans for the deck are thin aircraft plywood covered with balsa cut into planks and individually glued on in a herringbone pattern. I plan on vacuum bagging it with glass veil on the bottom and cloth and/or glass veil on the top. I think this should be quite unique and add quite a bit to the value. I did a similar thing with a Victor Models' Ruby B, an 1800's gaff rigged cutter that I have.

For radios I have 2 Hitech Ranger II's which came with servo's, receivers, battery holders etc. so I have 3 HS-311 servos that I didn't use, one of which would probably do for the rudder of the EC-12.

~~Usagi~~
Usagi

Postby greerdr » Wed May 21, 2008 11:47 pm

WOW! You will have a beautiful (but possibly heavy) deck.Try to keep the weight low.This fleet is getting better all the time and low weight down low with a LWL at 42 inches is the way to go.Add weight at the regatta for conditions Vs a heavy boat with no options.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to EBay Hunters