Legal Dumas Hull Rig Specs

The Auction is a good place to watch. Beware, this is where knockoffs surface or boats never registered. Verification of the hull is reguired before registration or transfer...Class Secretary.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Legal Dumas Hull Rig Specs

Postby fearna » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi all - I recently aquired and re-egistered an old Dumas hull and I am returning her to ?competitive? status with a new rig, rudder and Ozmun arm winch. The present deck layout for mast step and jib/mainsheet fairleads differs widely from the standard hull specs as published by the class.
I would appreciate some input from any of you active Dumas skippers as follows: Where, from the bow, is your mast stepped for a balanced A rig?; Where,from the bow,are your jibsheet and mainsheet fairleads located- stock location? Does anyone use a mainsheet bridle or post with the Dumas? I will be using a relatively new Carr main and similar jib.
I have read and enjoyed all of the old posts about the Dumas boats and look forward to testing my skill against the standard hull in our small local fleets and beating Jim Linville (Minuteman MYC and Greater Worcester MYC in MA). When I finally tank test this rig with it's messily poured ballast, what should I look for? Does anyone have a recommendation on bow up angle as measured on the kingplank for light or heavy Wx? The consensus I get is that the Dumas is good in light air up to 5 mph. Is this with a shorter or longer legal waterline? Does it respond to ballast changes in lt or Hvy wind strengths and should I add ballast to bring it up to max WL if needed?
Answers to any of the above questions will be truly appreciated and will give me a starting point and some hope as our Winter build season begins. I have been informed that some years back a Dumas placed in the top echelon of the Nationals and I would love to get some input from that skipper. Thanks in advance for any replies. Al Fearn
fearna

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:42 pm

My Treasure Tooling:
Jib attachment point is 6-7/8 from the bow
Jib sheet 22"
Mast Step 26-1/2 or 26-1/4
main sheet exit 42-1/8
Waterline 42-3/4
Forward end of waterline about 7" aft the Jib attachment point.
Sorry do not have the current correct measurement on bow and stern to the waterline. Send me a e-mail and if I find the rest I'll give them to you.
She likes light air.
Tom
bigfoot55

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:44 pm

clarification, forward waterline is about 7"- located just aft of the jib attachment point.
bigfoot55

Return to EBay Hunters