Here's a Couple

The Auction is a good place to watch. Beware, this is where knockoffs surface or boats never registered. Verification of the hull is reguired before registration or transfer...Class Secretary.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Here's a Couple

Postby MichaelJ2K » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:18 am

As seen on ebay.

Item 6067323555. The listing says Dumas but it may be either a Reynolds or Treasure Tooling boat. Sail no. 12 US10.

Item 6067323559 which may be a Dumas boat. Sail no. looks to be
12 US2.

Any comments Rick?

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Ken S » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:01 am

Looks to Me like 6067323555 (US10?) has had its hull altered, the stern is rounded.

Ken S
Ken S

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:05 am

Did anyone notice the rig is on backwards on the red boat.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby MichaelJ2K » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:51 pm

I sent a message to the seller asking for more information. Ken, I think that US10 is original as I believe the early hulls had a rounded stern.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Rick West » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:22 am

Both boats are from the same seller and likely never registered. They also appear to be redecked Dumas hulls with radio gear pre 1980.

US 10 may be a resectioned hull attempted to be registered in 2004 and rejected. US10 was first registered in 1973 so this was not issued to a Dumas. The hull and YRN are likely not illegal.

The blue boat appears to be the same vintage and therefore not likely a Dumas. I have seen US 2 and this is not Rod Carr's boat.

I see no worth in either of these boats. They are like others appearing in the last year riding on the increased visability of the EC12. I recommend neither and said the same to an inquiry an hour ago.

Yes, the rig appears to be on backwards and the gooseneck was disconnected.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby tallastro » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rick West</i>

...I recommend neither and said the same to an inquiry an hour ago.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That would have been me. Hi [:D]

The competition starts early. I don't even have a boat yet and I have to fight with the EC12 veterans. How am I supposed to snatch up a bargain with all y'all doing the same? [;)] Oh well, I'll find a boat I can afford sometime.

Newbie checking in,

John
tallastro

Postby greerdr » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:41 pm

Please keep an eye on our (EC-12) boat trader page.Some really good deals pop up there.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby MichaelJ2K » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:19 pm

I received a message from the seller that the red US10 has a AMYA sticker in it while he could not find one in the blue boat. Still, buyer beware.

Tallastro,
There are some super deals on boats in the boat trader page. There, you will know that the ones sold there are registered boats.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby cshelden » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Maybe this is the wrong area for this discussion so help me if so:
what are the thoughts on boats of this caliber being bought and used to get new members in a club up to speed on the EC12. While they can not be registered nor are class legal it still seems they would be good to have around for potential new members to purchase see how they like it then move on to a more adequate boat. I've received much interest in EC's but when you start talking about cost then the interest goes away. While the cost of an EC is not allot more than someone will invest in say RC Airplanes or such, it is still steep. Maybe these could be used to "hook" and get them interested? And I do understand the intent of the class to keep boats on a standard build to promote a pure fleet and that is very good. So maybe the use of such boats as this would hamper that established movement I'm not sure.

Charlie
cshelden

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:12 pm

Charlie,
If the boat was club owned, I would think that they would be good to have ready as far as handing a newbie a transmitter and taking it around the marks a few times with the understanding that the boat cannot be registered and it is for fun racing only. Of course at the regionals, nationals and published regattas, allowing an unregistered boat to race is verboten.

In any hobby, the start up costs can be high whether it be airplanes, cars or boats. With some of the deals being offered right now in this site, I think that cost is reasonable. One does not need a $1200 boat to start sailing but only if one wants to. It still comes down to the ability to sail the shortest course to the finish line whether it be a $500 boat or a $1200 boat. If they are turned off by the cost, that's the way it is. If they are seriously interested, then I would indicate the sources for building a class legal boat and not have them waste their money.

When I got into this sport, I did it with the understanding that the boat I bought could be registered and I could race it anywhere.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Matthew Houghton » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:35 pm

Charlie,

I think the idea behind what your are suggesting is solid. I have seen it before that people get their hands on these boats while sailing them for the first time. What happens is that these boats are not particularly competitive and sometimes have lousy gear. A bad boat turns people away as fast as finding out the cost of a new boat. I would recommend that if someone is going to have club boats, make sure that they are competitive club boats.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt
Matthew Houghton

Postby yachtie » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi guys - just an idea for you - what I do down here now is have a reasonable boat now avail for "trial". BUT to hook people hand over the reigns of a "better" boat and use the older one myself - makes them look good and helps with the bite of the bug.

What makes this easy is that with 1 boat in water and other on beach I say here take hold of this and I'll get the "other" boat out. Rather than take it back just let them keep going. Seems to work[:D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby cshelden » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:17 pm

All very good comments and ideas, I appreciate it very much. Matt I agree, if you will have a club or loaner boat make it a decent one. No need in turning over a boat with marginal use. I picked one up for 500 in SanAntonio a while back, first thing I did was pull the dumas winch out and put in a ozmun I had for another boat, got to use a RMG for my personal one now. I guess you hve to look at the boat and what it would take to make it work well and put that into consideration of is it a value or not. To me anything over 200 was high as they needed LOTS of work. Looks like they ended early anyhow, wonder what they went for?

cs
cshelden

Postby s vernon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:42 pm

Same person bought both of them.
Red one $331 with 19 bids. Blue one $335 with 28 bids.

It is not difficult to determine winning bids. In this case just sign in and search for the item numbers.

Scott
s vernon

Postby greerdr » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:19 pm

Compare that to 475.00 for boat listed in Sebring!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Next

Return to EBay Hunters