Old 12 vs 95 hull

The Auction is a good place to watch. Beware, this is where knockoffs surface or boats never registered. Verification of the hull is reguired before registration or transfer...Class Secretary.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Old 12 vs 95 hull

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 pm

Just took an old hull, 70's Treasure Tooling with the glass deck out of mothballs and deep sixed the 72mh radio. Probar winch, no jib trim. Like to make it competative if possible, looking at updating rig, maybe new winch as all seem to be going to the RMG. Seems she will be fast enough if I can sail it but some conditions seem questionabke. Do not see any of these in competative hands actively sailing. Any imput would be great as someone must have tried. Redo recomendations or build a new one? Also have a 1982 Robin hull as a possible.
Thanks Tom P
bigfoot55

Postby s vernon » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:20 am

http://www.ec12.org/Clubhouse/Discussio ... erms=pre95

I searched this forum for pre95

You could also search it for old - I do not know if those discussions will give you info you want but there are several.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:10 am

Tom,

There is a lot you can do to an old boat to make it competitive again. Your boat is in great shape. A more modern rig with all the tricks of a Zellanack or Kahle will do wonders without changing the boat at all.

But a rebuild with a new lighter deck, RMG winch, and lighter servos will allow you to get a little more lead down into the keel. This will help to stiffen the boat.

I have a Treasure Tooling boat and it is very fast in light air and then for some reason it is fast in the real heavy air when it is heeled over hard. But the rest of the time it seems to not have the speed to keep up. I have not taken the time to do the rebuild, but I do have plans to do it in the future. If for no other reason than to keep it as a club boat.

Rick Gerry had sailed a rebuilt Dumas for years and took home some very nice trophies. As far as I am concerned, an older hull in good shape can be just as fast as the 95st. It just needs to be modernized from the lead pour on up.

I hope this helps your decision making.

See you at the lake.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:40 am

Good imformation, thanks. She has solid ballast, do not remember the weight or where it came from. I would not pull the deck as if she will not be competative at the top of the fleet, she will be an adequate fun boat for someone as is when I get through. The question will be go to the expense and work of making an attempt at a competative boat with that or the 82 Robin and not having it at the end as Scott suggested. What the big boat guys mean by a hole in the water. I would like to get as much input as I can on improvements. Capt Flack has seen her sail, having made some of the changes the middle range is the problem along with the skipper.

I will want to continue to tinker til I have to give up at better boat speed and then make a decision. Tear off the deck, build out the 82 or get a new hull. I am guessing that the 82 is not the way to go. but will have to get home and look at the keel width. No point in having another light air boat.
bigfoot55

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:40 am

Saw this posted on chat forum-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

Be interesting to see what happens with a 1000 buy it now, needing winch rebuild? A Carr boat starting at 500.
bigfoot55

Return to EBay Hunters