Dumas Hull

The Auction is a good place to watch. Beware, this is where knockoffs surface or boats never registered. Verification of the hull is reguired before registration or transfer...Class Secretary.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Dumas Hull

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:58 pm

if anyone is interested in a non registerable Dumas for a club boat to let passerbyes sail

see ebay #5958760115
Doug Wotring

Postby Stephen Crewes » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:52 am

Nice boat Doug, should be a little beauty for some one. Dumas EC12 is one of the top boats in Australia. Always hard to beat.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Stephen Crewes » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:44 am

Doug , I can see there are a lot of philistines out there. Here is your boat that any Aussie would give his eye tooth for but there is the problem of shipping. Now obviously this wonderful boat would make a really good Schooner. I know of one that was converted to an A class, (yes) and it opened a few eyes too.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Doug Wotring » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:34 am

you could buy it and just take it home with you when you cove upppp to sail with us yanks
Doug Wotring

Postby Stephen Crewes » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:52 am

Doug , I get the distinct impression that I'm not loved, As mate Greer put it "harden up and move over". I can take a hint. Apart from anything, things are getting warm here for this EC12 class is showing signs of BOOMING. Don't they say 'If you got a better mouse trap the World will beat a path to your door'. I think we are about to have a better mouse trap.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Stephen Crewes » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:59 am

This class is all about racing . It was born(designed) for racing . Sure we fleet race it but there are heaps of us participating the boat was designed for MATCH RACING. One on one. A bit like Mini 12s . Yep, you can go out and have a sail around but it really gets interesting when it becomes a bit of the old one on one or Match racing. The second best thing is TEAM racing , now if you haven't done that in your club then your missing out of something like a rebirth in R/C racing.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:37 pm

I realize that this is the Dumas thread, but I don't know where else to respond... perhaps I should have started a new thread... but briefy (and I apologize to all those that have tuned in thinking they were going to learn great things about a dinosaur boat)

I keep getting the impression that there are people that think the new mold is going to produce a different/faster boat. I can tell you without the slightest bit chance of error, you are not.

The change to the new hull standard is not about what it creates, rather what it <i>doesn't</i>which is... dissimilar hulls. If you are looking for an edge in the performance derived from your boat, then start grabbing up what is out there NOW, because once the new molds come out, every single boat will be cookie cutter correct.

Now, I feel the giant electronic hand sweeping down and moving this thread somewhere else so I will shaddup.

LL
Larry Ludwig

Postby Stephen Crewes » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:38 pm

Good words 67 . You keep mentioning Liberty bell regattas in "Developement" but I can't seem to get out of anyone what this regatta entails? Is it part match and part Fleet?

Now I'm sorry too Doug that we have Hi-jacked your Advert but after listening to Larry there are some voices in the wilderness.

Voices , show that all is not lost, for an Opposition is healthy in our society.

Now the bloke who said we're having 20 to 30 boats at a regatta has got to be joking. with the numbers of EC12s in America , you should be pulling two or three times that number to a regional meet. Your Nats should be a run-off affair to select contestants . The bloke who is thinking that this is all pie- in- the- sky stuff should reckonize that EC12s have been going for a lot of years in USA. If you getting 20 odd boats to your regattas , then your NOT doing the hard miles. The hard miles are the ones where it takes just that extra bit the difference between a good regatta and a great one.

The EC12 Champs in Sydney in coming March has (two weeks before ) 22 entries. This is only testing the water stuff. For the class has been in the doldrums for fuorteen years. When we really get our bums into gear it will be ZIPPARDY DOO DAR, ZIPPARDY AH. And if we get ONLY 20 to 30 boats , we won't be happy little vegemites.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Doug Wotring » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:29 pm

Dumas hull notice from ebay was not my hull, I just spied it and though someone might pick it up and save it. Even though it can't be registered it would still make a fine entry level club boat.

20-30 boats at a regatta is about perfect in my eye...just enough but not too much. keep in mind we has some 22 two day regattas in 11 states with skippers in a 750 mile or so radius from the basic geographic center of the class. and a few active skippers from outside that radius. thats alot.....to do especially if you sail other class boats, real boats, have kids, a real job or a wife.

basically the three main regions have a regatta a month during the season. also keep in mind that some clubs such as my own sail every other week in addition to these two day events.

nowith FL having the largest # of registered boats in any single state....and Fl being it's own region......there should be 50 boats at every regatta there I woould think....especaill since all the Fl regattas are withing 250 miles of each other

I myself am looking at 14 club race days, 6 regional events, 4 J boat events, a mini 12 regatta and thats just my sailing activities. Then throw in a few motorcycle races, a trip to China and anything else I get involved in. Thats 26 weekends that I am commited to. And then there is the off chance I may go to a few regattas out of region............

Damn, I am SC@*&ed.....LOL how am I going to afford this......I may have to sell another mini 12....or charter it out
Doug Wotring

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:29 am

Well as long as the topic is wandering around... I might as well give it another boost..... The 20-30 boats is accurate, and when you consider how frequent the regattas are that are pulling in that many, it seems very nice. 50-60 would be great, but the only time I see those numbers is with the IOM's.

I know that the new radios are on the horizon that will do away with crystals in the sense that each boat has it's own channel of the set amount and must be shared with the whole herd. They will be discreet to the point where the number of boats allowed will never again be based on frequency conflicts. I wonder then, what will happen with the numbers allowed to enter.... because the sad awful truth is... if there *were* 50-60 boats, they would not all be allowed to race.

The limiting factor for regattas will soon be volunteers to work the race while the masses have a good time sailing.[xx(]
Larry Ludwig

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:26 am

freq conflict is not really a limiting factor IMHO. other than extra workload for regatta RD and staff.....you just have to be on top of things and have A, B and poss C fleets. and have periods beetween heats for skippers to change crystals.

the other limiting factor is the skippers budget to buy more crystals

also with the size of the EC-12 the starting line would be awfully long with 50-60 boats.....that would limit venues as well as skipper room on shore. Imagine 50 guys bumping around tring to get the position so they can see straight down the line and see their boat at the same time
Doug Wotring

Postby Stephen Crewes » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:51 pm

A couple of factors that you should consider. The Australian National Championships just gone , they had 72 entries for IOM and they went down to F fleet(Iwas there as an official) and it wasn't that much fun. For the waiting time between races, was long. So long in fact that over four days of racing, I think everyone got about 10 races each. The whole point is that the good boats won and the not so good boats came somewhere else. But the point I'm trying to make here is the class is in a healthy state. Of course Australia is also running the Worlds this year in September 05 and again this will be another big regatta but all our blokes are experienced and so are the officials in big fleet racing.

May be there is a time coming when one will have to sail -off to get into the Regionals or Nats. We in Australia have in frequencies 27,29,36,40 MHZ so you see quite a fleet can build up. On the frequencies all the odd numbers are used only.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:00 pm

see new topic under regatta for continuation of this thread
Doug Wotring

Postby Stephen Crewes » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:32 am

well Doug if nobody has bought that bloody Dumas you could send it to Oz for a prize. failing that, paint it gold and get it mounted for first prize in your Mini 12 series prize.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Stephen Crewes » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:34 am

Well Shipmate we had a good yarn and some giggles about the Dumas boat (that wasn't Doug's) and we communicated and well that's life, happy sailing. S
Stephen Crewes

Next

Return to EBay Hunters