advice for new guy before buying a boat

The Auction is a good place to watch. Beware, this is where knockoffs surface or boats never registered. Verification of the hull is reguired before registration or transfer...Class Secretary.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

advice for new guy before buying a boat

Postby s vernon » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:09 pm

A guy bought an EC-12. No names here so I figure I can write this. He brought it to our races and I looked at it. Nice 95 std boat for a good price. Arm winch ought to be replaced. In trying to rig it there were more problems than could be solved that day. In trying to get it ready to sail for the next time (not by me) a lot more problems including the need for a new radio system and the sails being wrinkled rags appeared. The guy had considered buying Doug Hale's boat. As it turned out, he would have been way way ahead if he had done that.

My point is that the "local" fleet should be contacted for advice before the purchase not after.

I guess some standard advice would be to not buy a boat sight unseen (maybe someone in the EC-12 class would be willing to survey the boat) and to make sure the boat gets rigged and and fired up before writing the check.

Scott
s vernon

Postby greerdr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Unless the price is just too good.
Don't we all have a mantle piece we bought for $200.00?

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to EBay Hunters