new rudder ?

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

new rudder ?

Postby nhanson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:49 am

I've tried everything I can think of to get my rudder to work properly but to no avail. Are there any suppliers or fabricators who will make new rudders of will thid be a lifelong battle.
nhanson

Postby RMDJBD » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Who's hull do you have, I make rudders for hulls that come out of the new Class owned molds. You may contact me at anytime if you have any questions.

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D. Marine.com
RMDJBD

Postby nhanson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks Bob...I have a Hickman hull #530
nhanson

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:06 am

A few years back, Ben Diss built a rudder and took photos of all the steps along the way. I looked back to find it for you, but all the photos have lost their links. Maybe Ben has moved them and can restore the links or email them to you.

Ben, you out there?

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:14 am

Neil needs a rudder to fit a Hickman circa #530. Can anyone help him out?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby skip241 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Neil, if any of your local fellow yachtsmen have an older Robin Yachts hull, borrow their rudder to see how well it fits your hull. If it's close enough for your needs, I can make you one. Skip [:D]
skip241

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi Neil,

I have an older Hickman boat as well. A couple of things to look at when replacing the rudder.

1) The rudder post diameter. RMD's are bigger than what was standard on your boat.

2) The angle of the top of the rudder and how it meets the hull. They seem to vary from one builder to the next. I am pretty sure that none are interchangeable. RMD's are straight on top and will not fit your boat(they also have a larger rudder post diameter). Skip Allen's are closer but not quite. The rudder that will fit your boat is made by Scott Todd (Blue Crab Model Yachts). You can find him on the suppliers page on this site.

Hope this helps,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby s vernon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:42 am

Neil,
If you do need to cut the old rudder tube out of the boat, Tom P did it on his latest boat by taking a brass tube that will just fit over the existing rudder tube and filing a sort of tooth pattern on one end, then chucking it in a drill and (with no deck or a hole in the deck) slipping that tube over the existing rudder tube and cutting away thru the blob of epoxy and the hull. Know what I mean?

You will end up with a slightly oversized hole for a new rudder tube, which is what you were hoping for anyway.

Of course no one but Scott the Hun would ever consider putting a hole in their deck for access. humor

If the top does not fit against the bottom of the hull it has to still be better than trying to use the old undersized rudder. I put a homemade (for a 95 Standard Robin) rudder on my old relic and the top angle is not the same but it is still a much better rudder than the original.

Thank you, Tom

Scott
s vernon

Postby nhanson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:28 am

nhanson.....Scott Todd is sending me a new rudder which will take care of the problem. Thanks to all for your suggestions, especially Chuck Luscomb. I'll get in touch next time on the East Coast.
nhanson

Return to Below Deck