Rudder play

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Rudder play

Postby nhanson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 am

For some reason my rudder will work for about 3 turns to the left then decided thats enough and must maneuver back to landing using right turns. When I take the boat out of the water, I find the rudden had dropped 1-2 cm during the sail and binds up against the hull. Any suggestions for a remedy ?
nhanson

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi Neil,

If the rudder seems to work OK on shore then it is possible that the Allen screw holding the rudder horn on the shaft could be loose. If it is not, it may also be possible that your rudder servo has gotten wet and may be acting up.

Check it out of the water. Travel should be about 40 degrees or so on each side without making contact with the hull.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Check to see if the rudder shaft tube is still glued in tightly. If the tube has come loose, the rudder and control arm and set screw may all be dropping down together and the arm is hanging up on the cross support (assuming there is one). That would make sense if it will only turn one way.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby greerdr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Have you made a flat spot on the rudder shaft with a file for the tiller set-screw to seat?

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Below Deck