Whinch Winch ?

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby diarrapino » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 pm

My choice is to use a sail arm rather than a drum, and I use the Hitec 805BB ($39.99) modified for 180 degrees. Couple this with a Spektrum DX6i, and you have a fully programmable system that rivals the flexibility of the Smartwinch. The Spektrum allows exponential control for fine tuning with very high accuracy. Also, since all of the intelligence is built into the radio, not the servo, you can keep a spare in your kit and swap it out pondside in a few minutes. I don't think you would be able to quickly change out a Smartwinch between heats at a regatta, your day would probably be over even if you could afford to keep a spare on hand. For $39.99 each, if you do happen to burn one up on a high wind day (never seen this happen yet) you can always keep spares handy. I use five cells and get 343 oz/in of torque, which is plenty.

Dan
diarrapino

Postby dr j » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Hey All,
Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been to the forum for awhile. I will play the devils advocate and say that I have used a Futaba 5801 in both my EC12s that I have built and raced. I have never had a failure, nor have I needed more torque. The first boat I raced from 1997-2001 and won the Nationals in 2000. My current boat has used the same winch for the last 7 years without a failure and won the Nationals in 2006.
Drawbacks of the Futaba are that initial setup is tougher because all you can adjust is the total travel not the endpoints. It definitely took an hour or two the first time setting the main sheet length and travel. But since then I never touch the adjustment screw. I have many times seen people with RMGs complain that the winch lost its programmed setpoints, althouigh that may be people that were not familiar with its correct use.
So my point is that the Futaba does work fine for me and I will stick with it, but most now use the RMG.

Jarl Wathne
# 88
Maryland MYC
dr j

Previous

Return to Below Deck