Multiple Ballast Configurations

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Multiple Ballast Configurations

Postby John Hulsberg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:14 pm

The section of the EC12 Building Website dealing with ballast cutting for multiple ballast configuration seems to have moved or maybe temporally been dropped for revisions. A search of the group doesn't seem to mention this, and I can't find the instructions in the manual.

I have a "Short Pour" ballast (13", 18.4#s) on the idea that it's possible to make a short ballast act longer; but the reverse is cumbersome. If I remember correctly, I think the old instructions called for about three inches off the rear of the lead and 5/8" from the front.

Could anyone with more experience give an estimate or suggestion of the ballast cuts to be made to yield the most flexible configuration?

John Hulsberg
Middletown PA
Jhulsberg@Verizon.Net
EC-12 # 2023 (In Progress!)
John Hulsberg

Postby greerdr » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:59 pm

go to home page>resources>construction help>then ballasting.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby s vernon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 pm

If you today or soon do a google search on "multiple ballast" ec12 and hit cached on the ec12.info page that is listed you can see Rick's page even tho it is gone from his website.

I do not think this will answer your question, but for the time being it is a link to the "archived" Rick West web page. I was surprised to see this noon that Rick had removed this info. Apparently not very many of us do multiple ballasting of our EC12s, if I read his words on the new page correctly. Sounds like the page is gone for good so you might want to "select all", copy, paste in microsoft word and save the info and images on the cached (soon to be inaccesible?) page if you think you might need it in the future.

Hopefully someone will answer your actual question. My question to you would be why would you want a short lead to act like a long lead?

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:43 pm

John,
When you access the building site the Site Update page should be checked to for the latest revisions to the site. The Keel Ballast section was removed from the site in the last week, as the site is updated. It was replaced with Ballast, which more accounts for what is being done. Multiple ballasting is still being used but as add ons. Let me explain.

The ballast you have is likely the popular one that is produced from cast molds that could be found at the annual Pour Party held in January in Mount Laurel NJ. The missing site pages listed this pour and it is shorter and taller than used elsewhere.

Multiple ballasting has a base from knowing the lightness in building a hull with installed items. The generality is that most ballast units weigh around 18.5 pounds. With building boat weights (sans ballast) reducing a boat will measure in the tank at less than 42.5â€
Rick West

Postby John Hulsberg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Thanks, Rick! I’ll hack it at 1½ and 5¼ inches today. Thanks for the “Cast Specificâ€
John Hulsberg

Postby s vernon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:38 pm

Is the "Little Foot" calculated to be used to go between a 42½ and 43 inch waterline?

John,

Take a look at the weight / final weigh-in pages on Rick's website (while they are still in existence). He has a table showing what amount of lead gets added to the boat ballast to go from 42 to over 42 1/2 and then to 43.

Scott
s vernon

Postby John Hulsberg » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:44 pm

<font face="Arial">Scott,

I started to cut the ballast as per Rick’s suggestion and stoped when I realized that the big foot would be over three pounds which didn't seem right. A section this large would be handy to move fore/aft to stiffen the response, but too much weight to yield a 42â€
John Hulsberg

Postby greerdr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:19 pm

And that rule is very important.Often we ghost along on day one of a regatta then deal with "blowing stink" on Sunday.Hence the usefulness of a "baby foot" and a BIG battery pack.
Welcome aboard John.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:26 pm

John,
I have not been where your numbers indicate. And I have not cut a short pour, as indicated above. I do not see how cutting off the aft end of the ballast along the slant would give you more than 1.5 pounds. My guess above was about 1.5 inches for that cut.

Secondly, my original cast ballast was about 19 pounds I think before it was cut.

I haven't been where you have been or may be going. Be Careful and don't make anything permanent till you know.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:26 pm

John,

I decided to think about your "3 lb problem". I think the answer is 5 1/4 inches.

Rick said 1 1/2 inches, then take the 1 1/2 inch piece and cut it lengthwise 1/3 and 2/3rds. You can see that cut on the old Ballast page that is not there on his site. Know what I mean?

I did not see 5 1/4 in anything that Rick wrote. If that is not the answer and I don't know what I am talking about at least I tried.

Scott
s vernon

Postby John Hulsberg » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:30 pm

Thanks for your time, Scott! If I ever become good enough at this to help anyone, I promise to help a few newbies!

Gosh, I really parsed Ricks sentence wrong, or otherwise disinterpreted that one! I think that read “remainderâ€
John Hulsberg

Return to Below Deck