But my arm won't reach that far.....

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

But my arm won't reach that far.....

Postby BobR » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:56 pm

Have any of you come up with a brainy way to install nuts on fittings that you can't reach OR see?????? If anyone wants a photo of what I'm up against email me and I will be more than happy to send you a photo or two. I think what I may have to do is open up an access hatch, it will give me access to the threads on the fittings as well as access to the block in the bow, this is on a planked deck. Does anyone have any other idea as to what I could do to solve this problem?

All ideas are greatly appreciated,
Bob
BobR

Postby s vernon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:46 am

Per EC12 Manual - great couple of books - that and Optimizing. Use 2-56 or 4-40 rigging pins, along with tee nuts.

Put the nut on the pin. Run a string thru the hole in the deck and tie the under deck part of the string to the pin. Pull the pin up thru the hole and give it a yank to set the tee nut. Spin the pin out of the nut and the nut will stay in place under deck (or hold a regular nut with your finger or with clay/putty/whatever.) Then install the fitting. Slick.

See Frank, I don't make a fool of myself every time. Just most of the time. humor

Scott
s vernon

Postby BobR » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:27 pm

It may work, I could fish a string but now I have to find 2.6 mm T-nuts....anyone know where I can buy some? I checked on the net and none show up. Theses are for Pekabe fittings.

Bob
BobR

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:21 pm

I use a $30 wireless camera off EBay. I tape it to a dowel with a mini-maglight on the other side. Get the boat in front of the big screen tv and watch what I am doing on the monitor. It works great, unless you have a trained baboon to reach up there and get it done for you.[8D]
Larry Ludwig

Postby BobR » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:14 pm

OK, you can see it but without the Baboon you still can't reach it. I think I will do a "reverse" fish....string down through the hole, fish the string out and tie on the pin and nut and then pull them back to the hole. 130# test should do the trick don't you think????????[:D]Now that I think about it.....last trip to Africa I made the Baboon that I saw had pretty chunky arms.

Bob
BobR

Postby tharmer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:56 pm

Is it legal to just cut a hatch in the bow so this problem goes away? I've got an EC12 with an arm winch and want to convert to RMG so I have to find a way to get the whole block system up there.
-terry
tharmer

Postby yachtie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:13 pm

Terry

I use a method of track that totally takes the issue here away. Please PM me with your email and I will send some pics for you to consider as an alternative.

This rack system also allows the whole radio, winch and servo's to be removed from the boat with 2 screws allowing it to be easy to work on, on the bench. I can set up totally out of boat including length of travel.

Cheers from Downunder

Chris (no relative) <b>Harmer</b>

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby BobR » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:36 pm

Dubro had the 2.6mm blind nuts, should be here tomorrow and trhen I will try out by reverse fishing..hope it works!

Bob
BobR

Return to Below Deck