Carbon Fiber use

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Carbon Fiber use

Postby PegLeg » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:37 pm

On August 7, in a formal letter, the class secretary was requested to make formal responses to certain rule issues about the uses of carbon fiber materials for strengthening various parts of an EC 12. Unfortunately the secretary has advised that such a decision would not be forthcoming before the Nationals. Although requested, no target date was to be forthcoming.

The request was made in accordance with class rules 1.2 and 1.3.

Since these issues might affect any winter building plans for those planning to do so, a timely answer is certainly in order. Therefore; it is requested that any and all interested parties make their comments known on the discussion pages. I would hope that your input might speed up the response date.

I do not wish to bore y’all with a copy of the letter (much too long), but I will share the following “decision makingâ€
PegLeg

Postby Rick West » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:19 pm

But you are boring us, Pete! If I thought for one minute that this had to do with preparing a boat for the NCR or even building this winter and was an issue of major importance to the class right now, I would stop all activities and deal with it. You alone seem to be one conveniently confused of what you can build with. It is another personal issue and your continued harassment of the class through me. And ever further with the Chairman of the Florida EC12 Association in another post today over an issue that does not apply to Pete. This is a hobby and recreation in model sailing and this forum is not a village square with a ring of egg crates to pop off from.

Pete’s formal letter was a Registered Letter five pages long over all the places in our rules where carbon fiber (and other materials) might be outside the rules that he participated in re-writing two years ago. This letter touches on nearly all the rules but that of the sails themselves, is far reaching and goes on to accuse others of breaking the rules and just a few more days ago named one commission builder in violation.

Because he has asked for clarification and with interpretation on all the matters, it is an undertaking and will be done…in time. Because he does not like the time frame he is now bringing it to the class in a forum where this is not approved. We will not be conducting class business in public under any guise of discussion.

If the class wishes to inform me of their opinion it can be done by email. Likewise, members can inform Pete Kremlick of their opinions in this matter in the same manner.

This string is locked from further comment and any attempt to carry this in any manner to another string will be deleted. Pete has termed my management of this long time policy as “Ham Handed.â€
Rick West

Return to Below Deck