Jib Trim Servo Angle

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jib Trim Servo Angle

Postby michaele69 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:47 pm

This would be much simpler if I could just draw a picture. [:)]

I have placed my jib trim servo as shown on the EC-12 building site, but now that I have all the lines in place, it seems to me that turned as it is, and offset to Starboard as it is, it places the jib sheet trim arm such that there is more strain on everything than is necessary. By rotating it slightly clockwise, and moving it closer to the sheet exit guide (without interfering with the compression strut), it would line things up better and cause less stress on the trim arm.

I have seen enough in the EC12 manual, and on the building site to know that things are where they are for a reason, but in this case I just can't figure out what that reasoning is. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Michael Edwards - EC-12 1969
michaele69

Postby Rick West » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:59 am

Michael,
The alignment of the jib servo in the first design of the radio board that is on the Building Site at this time was aimed directly at the jib fairlead. Actually, the first board had a slot at right angles to the line for adjustment. When this was known the template for the master board was drilled accordingly.

While the angle in the image appears to be port of the fairlead, it is not. The servo is forward of the compression post and very close to the chainplate.

The jib sheet line from the collector ring to the aft part of the block on the servo arm was at an angle during full close haul positions...the ring being nearly overhead and to the left of the servo. However, the line to the chainplate was on an even plane.

Three boats were made with is design. Following, the twitcher was abandoned and the jib trim servo was moved back to center of the winch and rudder servos. This increased the distances and allowed and lessened the angle to the collector ring. This design is being used still here today.

Nonetheless, in both cases there has not been a problem with wearing or function of this servo operation or friction to the sheet line.

This design will be seen on the Building Site this fall, as the updating of the site has begun and will show building with all the new stuff available today.

Bear in mind this site is from building in my shop and certainly not the last word in these processes. And we learn from each other here on the forum.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby michaele69 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Hmmm. Interesting. Is it now the concensus that twitchers are not desirable?

I am not quite sure what you are saying regarding the chainplates, I thought they were on deck. Are you referring to the jib sheet fairlead?

Gosh, I almost wish I could wait for the fall update, but I need to get this boat in the water!

Thanks again for the info. I love the building site. I have spent many an hour purusing it.

Michael Edwards - EC-12 1969
michaele69

Postby Rick West » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm

My Bad...yes fairleads. I will send email. You are not missing anything.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Below Deck