Winch Placement

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Winch Placement

Postby michaele69 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:48 pm

I have almost finished building my RMG winch E-board, and when I was checking the fit in the hull I noticed that the winch spool protruded a bit more to the left than what appears to me is necessary (I used the same placement as is shown on the EC-12 Building site). Is it a port/starboard balance thing? Is that much of an angle to the bow block necessary to get good clearance of the sheets around the mast? Something else? Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

ME.

Michael Edwards - EC-12 1969
michaele69

Postby Rick West » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:15 am

Michael,
I am not sure I understand the "balance" thing but probably no. This is not for a clearance issue or balance to centerline.

The slight angle to the bow block mount is to insure the line travel on the drum is positive in moving from the outside of the drum to the inside along the grooves...sheeted out to sheeted in. Without this it has been known to overide a groove and thereby build a ridge to block the movement inward.

Secondly, the angle also forces a inward pressure on the drum preventing it from separating from the drive shaft of the winch. This shop has never used a securing screw on the drum for the ease of maintenance.

Today, RMG is providing a thumb screw cap that can easily release the drum for maintenance. However, the groove tracking issue for the downward spiral remains in consideration here. Why not? It doesn't hurt.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby michaele69 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks, that's a good answer, it makes sense.

ME.

Michael Edwards - EC-12 1969
michaele69

Return to Below Deck