Bulkheads/Deck Frames

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:42 pm

Rick, "However, on the side and as a builder, I have never seen the benefit of CF ribs. Whether alone or sandwiched, they have less gluing surface, are more costly, require more time, not any lighter and not likely to find something suitable from a local supplier. That is my opinion. I like the decks with no ribs."

I agree with rick for the most part. I used CF for the beams in my 12 it is 1/8" aerospace grade laminate, not foam cored. My beams are less than 1/2 the heigth ( top to bottom) of the beams on the plans. and are chocked full of lightening holes. and I was very slighty over what the Basswwod/barsa beams with lighteing holes weighed on a boat being built simultaneously.

haveing done it twice now. 12 and the J I don't know if I would do it again.

on the 12 I would do the fibergalss/foam deck, especially after seeing the product from the mold Brawner just made

Outside of the coolness factor, the benift is a very rigid structure with no chance of Dry Rot.....for those who want a boat to last a while and a boat that can safely be picked up by the hatch.

having gotten some cosmetic seconds during the build on my 12 it was not that expensive.

the J on the other hand was a bit pricey, my CF supplier is unable to get me stuff now due to demands from the aerospace industry and the Feds., so it is full price and not cost effective.

I sure do like to confidence of the 1/8" CF turning block bulhead......that eye is never coming out
Doug Wotring

Previous

Return to Below Deck