Upgrade to Decking

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Upgrade to Decking

Postby michaele69 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:23 pm

Any idea when the decking upgrade on the building site will be completed?

Michael Edwards - The Future 69 !
michaele69

Postby greerdr » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:00 pm

Have you considered an RMD deck ? These are very light ,strong and SWEET!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby michaele69 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm

Well, actually yes, I have one. That is the part that I was hoping was going to be upgraded. I have Bob's instructions, but the more info the better.

michaele69

Postby Rick West » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:21 pm

It took seven months on the hard drive and building to put it up. It is out of date except for the basics. I have tried to update some (you see the change in font) but cannot find long strings of days for continuity. I have to start in Planning, and then move into the EC so nothing is over looked. It will take time; a long time for the season has started with PBG.

The RMD instructions were followed except for one thing. I cut off the excess before gluing the deck on. That is not a good idea for that large overhang provides purchase for the sand sausages.

Before this, however, is to think through all the things that you used to attach to the ribs. Then install those mounting points (glue) to the underside. It is not complicated. It just takes thought because it is a new way of doing things.

Chart the top of the deck (it is easier than the underneath) with blue tape using the same measurements you have. Study it for correctness then drill the holes. I used .32 aluminum sheet for backing, bolted all that needed it with 2-56 machine screws and then put silicon seal over the threads to lock the nuts.

What is in the decking section is pretty much it. There will be more detail later and the photos will be moved into that page. Bulletins has has the photos now.

The first deck will take days to do because of being careful to get the layout right. I asked my wife to help in the alignment of the deck as it was set onto the wet glue and to make sure nothing moved during the placement of the sand bags. The labor time is about two hours and the great thing is you do not have to do all that messy finishing.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Mike Zellanack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:35 am

Mike, Give me a call if you have any questions. I've installed quite a few of the new RMD decks.

Mike
Mike Zellanack

Postby michaele69 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:56 am

Thank ya'll for all the responses. I am not really having difficulty, I was just looking for more info. Bob was most gracious in sending me a private message of assistance along with the responses here. I really appreciate your help.

By the way, if you have not seen one of Bob's new boats, you need to, they are absolutely beautiful, and the fit and finish is superb.

michaele69

Return to Below Deck