Boat weight

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Boat weight

Postby cshelden » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:42 pm

Not sure where this should go on the forum, but i'm nearing completion of my first EC12. I weighed it just a moment ago on some quality digital scales and it comes in at 23# exactly. This is the hull with deck hardware, winch, rudder servo. Things not weighed, are receiver battery pack and standing rigging/sails. Is this about where I should be with the hull? Am I light? Heavy? Winds here in Oklahoma avg 8-12 or so if that matters. thanks for all the help.

Charlie
cshelden

Postby Gene Rosson » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:04 pm

Charlie;
You are in the ball park. Rig is probably about 12 ounces and 6V 2000 Mah battery pack about 6 ounces. So you'll be all up at a little over 24 pounds.
As you have been involved with your build for a while, you know that the rules make no distinction for weight. Waterline length is the criteria. You will be close to normal weight and WL will likely fall within the specified dimensions. [^]

After you have gotten the boat wet a few times you can begin to fret over fore/aft trim. Messing with ballast distribution is way more fun than an ingrown toe nail. Hopefully you have it <i>optimized </i> in the first place. Not to worry, there are various schools of thought about the best weight distribution.

Fair winds

Gene
Gene Rosson

Postby cshelden » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Thanks Gene,
That was what I was wondering and I know that beam width can effect it as well. Was really curious on if I was going to be falling in line with what others are seeing on boats. I need to make a guide to mark my upper and lower WL's. At this time I dont have a test tank unless you count the hot tub.

Charlie
cshelden

Postby kahle67 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:14 pm

A survey was conducted at the Nationals which included displacement (weight). Here is a link to where an Excel spread sheet can be down loaded.

Oh well, I can't get the link to work but if you go to www.ec12.info you can click on the tab called The Weight.

RK

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Return to Below Deck