Lightening ballast

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Lightening ballast

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:18 pm

I am thinking about drilling some holes in my ballast to liighten it up a bit.

My plan is to drill out 2-3 holes to get the boat to min waterline.

Then pour lead plugs to fit in the holes so I can trim and add ballast.

Question is what kind of drill bit should I use to make a nice clean hole?
Doug Wotring

Postby s vernon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:08 am

Doug,

What kind of bit??? A metal one? Maybe someone else can answer that.

You are fortunate that you are planning to do this in the winter. My understanding is that the colder the lead is the easier it is to drill cleanly, without the lead gumming up and worse (can be difficult to drill lead) on the bit. So perhaps put it outside overnight.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Doug Wotring » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:49 am

on the same note: What is the weight diff between a 42 and 43
' waterline?
Doug Wotring

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:18 am

Actually Doug,

I have heard guys say to use a wood auger bit. Turn it slowly and pull it out frequently to keep the hole clean. Use a good oil too. Take your time with it so you don't get the bit stuck.

(Wow, that kind of sounds kinky. [:0][:p])

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby RMDJBD » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Doug

I have been a tool&die maker for 35yrs or more and here is the way you drill lead.

First you need to modify the end of the bit. You need to grind an 1/8th flat on the cutting edge parrell to the length of a 3/8 diamiter drill. It will look similer to a concrete drill, but you can't use a concrete drill because the flute are to narrow to let the lead chips out. What you are trying to do is stop the drill from turning into a wood screw and suck it self into the lead.

Second, you need a good WAXBASE lubricant, such TAPEASE, LPS TAPMATIC or a good bar of soap with a lot of lanolin in it. Oil, WD40,Silicone are no good.

Third, if possible put the hull in a cradle and drill it in a drill press at speeds between 500/800 rpm and clean the drill a lot. If your drill is not long enough you can buy a longer drill at a good hardware store.

Freezing the lead does nothing to help machining. The best way is to drill a little bit and clean.

I showed Reichard how to do it at the Nat's on Dick Reinke's boat when it was over the max water line.

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby The OZ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:59 am

Yes you did Bob and Reichard did a fine job of drilling, drilling, and drilling. End results, boat was measured again and was offical.
Dick Reinke EC12-1724.
The OZ

Return to Below Deck