Formica vs Balsa/Glass Deck

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Formica vs Balsa/Glass Deck

Postby PaulP » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:03 pm

Has anyone done research on weights of formica vs balsa/fiberglass decks?

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:30 pm

Although I have not done this exact comparrison, I did look at Formica for my J boat Deck.

I was not impressed with its overall durability. Found it to be fragile in a few circumstances that I subjected it to that I thought it may encounter as a Deck

I would think the balsa/glass deck is lighter unless your using a very heavy cloth
Doug Wotring

Postby Rick West » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:24 am

Not to be proud of but I put a 1.5" round hole in Olbrich's beautiful new deck at Charleston on a port/starboard crossing poorly managed. I was stunned when he showed me.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kermwood » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:49 am

As you can see paul you once you go weight to weight ratio you have to think about strength too.
l work daily with formica/laminates and while they can be suitable for decking,l sheared away from using them
(1)Because in low tempertures they become brittle.
(2)Formica is by design made to be stuck down to a surface and only the top surface is waterproof and it is possible for the back of sheet to absorb moisture and distort unless treated.
And as Doug said l think also that fibreglass is lighter,but Unless you want the deck to have a wood grain finish why not forget the balsa and just use fibreglass sheet.It is easy to use, very light and in a wide choice of colours to suit the hulls.
And as for strength we all build for the deck to be light and so in some coming togethers nothing will stop damage accuring.
Woody
kermwood

Return to Below Deck