Piggyback Hull

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Piggyback Hull

Postby kermwood » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:39 pm

(1) Will a completed Hull sit inside a bare hull without damaging the either hull?
(2) If so,any idea of what the total height of the two hulls would be.
kermwood

Postby Larry Ludwig » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:21 pm

I would hesitate to do that... I am guessing for shipping purposes.... Obviously they won't fit like the stacking dolls.. but you could get one well inside the other and it would save you some shipping costs... but I am shipping a hull to Paris this week and it is only $60.00 USD which I thought was quite reasonable.

I would investigate what the cost would be on the larger box (assuming that you can stay within the max size limits) and see how much it goes up from the single shipment.. then ask myself if it is worth getting a hull that might be damaged. The box I am sending includes a 6' mast that goes in on the diagonal and I am within 3" of the limit. (length + girth) I don't know that a piggy back box would make it.

Next, what kind of damage could you anticipate? You could force the hull to widen out by and take it out of shape. It could probably be pulled back together when you put the deck on... but no guarantee that you hull won't be a little funky in spots.

Certainly you would need a good surface between them because the constant vibration on the same spot could ruin the cosmetics at minimum, and stress crack it if enough force were applied. If the box is not quite strong and something side impacts, I would expect that at least one of the hulls would be ripped at the sheer seam, where a single might absorb the blow. (Cramming one into the other)

This reminds me of the story of the destructive kid, Dad buys him a totally indestructable toy, and when he asks how Junior did with it his wife tells him, oh it's indestructable alright, he used it to break all his <i>other</i> toys.

I would bet that once you check the difference in shipping... it just becomes worthwhile to pay a little extra and have some peace of mind. [8]
Larry Ludwig

Postby kermwood » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:32 am

Thanks for that Larry,l should have explained in more detail that after Orlando l was hoping to bring back another hull in the same crate as the competing boat.
Sent separately whilst its not that much to ship as soon as it gets to our shores the custom & excise want a slice the last one cost me $600 in duty yes that $600 not $60 !
Woody
kermwood

Postby Larry Ludwig » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:34 pm

Check your airline policy for baggage, and the cost of extra baggage. If you are carrying it back yourself, you may be able to do that for free. Take old clothes, and leave them behind! Hehehe.

I kept an EC-12 at the hotel in Limerick Ireland for about 3 months and sailed over there. It went back and forth so many times that I got tired of carrying it, and worked out a deal to leave it there. Did the same thing in Nassau when I was down there 3 nights a week.

Even if you had to pay for an extra bag it might come out cheaper than shipping, it's worth a phone call. [8D]
Larry Ludwig

Postby jrflorida » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:04 pm

When you bring any model boat into the US is is rated as a TOY! There is no duty on importing toys. Can't you describe it in such a way that you can get around the UK rules? Otherwise, maybe throwing away clothes is a good idea.
jrflorida

Postby kermwood » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:42 pm

Anybody who"s been on holiday with their wife will know who all the clothes belong to and you just try and get them to part with them !
kermwood

Postby greerdr » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:42 am

OUCH!What size are you,I can probably get you "covered".

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Below Deck