Whos putting on weight !

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Whos putting on weight !

Postby kermwood » Sat May 21, 2005 1:30 am

I know that aim is to get a 42" waterline that can be adjusted up to 43" by adding weight to suit conditions and trim requirments,and on the build site a figire of 23lb is used as a guide.
But does anybody know what is about the lighest weight a FINISHED hull with electrics and their primary ballast fitted has made to.
l know some skippers prefer a light boat and others seem to like a slightly heaver boat,So l was wondering what sort of weights have the skippers out there managed to obtain in their hull building.
Woody
kermwood

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sun May 22, 2005 7:51 pm

I have been waiting and watching to see... if anyone was going to respond on this one. Somewhat akin to asking your wife how much she weighs while standing in the middle of a cocktail party... [8D]
Larry Ludwig

Postby kermwood » Mon May 23, 2005 1:44 am

Very Good Larry[:)]but you really should not mention wife and weight in the same sentence!
Ok then lets try a different tack without giving away too many secrets.
"IF" l was to bring in a finished hull with all the bits in and the A rig on at "about" 22 lbs would this be considered to be a light boat.(or a miracle )!
Woody
kermwood

Postby kahle67 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 am

I'm at 23lbs, 3oz at the minimum waterline. This is with a '95 standard hull and the boat is trimmed out with the bow about 1/2 of a degree up. Some of the older boats with narrow keels can weigh in considerably less. Also, the positioning of the ballast is important. Because of the shape of the hull, if you trim your boat bow up, you can reach the minimum waterline faster with less lead than if you trim bow down or level.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon May 23, 2005 11:27 am

I put my Ozmun in a tank yesterday to see how it sat. With the poured ballast only it looked to be about 1/2degree up and the high side of 42 inches. With two nicad packs and about 1 lb. (guessing) of ballast, it moved close to 43 inches. I have not put it on a scale yet so I can't tell you it's weight. I might have my girlfriend hold it on a scale, get the weight and then remove the boat and re-weigh. [:D]
MichaelJ2K

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 pm

We use a clear plexiglas tank specifically for ballasting the EC-12, and the most accurate Royal scale I could afford. (we want EVERYBODY happy) and ballasting the boat along her prescribed lines (about +1 degree pitch) the difference between a 42 and 43 inch waterline comes out quite close to 2lbs which is left to the owners choice of when and where to put it as the day requires. [:D]
Larry Ludwig

Postby Carl » Tue May 24, 2005 7:17 pm

They say that a Reinhart rudder floats.
Therfore, a boat using a Reinhart rudder would have a positive force on the hull and would require more weight to meet the minimum trim waterline.
Has anyone measured this effect if in therory it is true?[:D]
Carl

Postby Larry Ludwig » Wed May 25, 2005 1:59 am

My rudders float as well, and I would estimate that they provide slightly less than .5 oz of positive bouancy. While it is a good thing, it is not much of one. I keep track of every ounce that goes into the boat, and you can work up the arm for the mean of the rudder and multiply out the moment that it generates... but I don't think you will be overly impressed. Still.. it is a good thing as opposed to a bad thing, and to those scores I do pay attention and keep count.[8D]

Actually I missed the question, and the correct response would be not that they require more weight to ballast down the floating rudder they actually lift up on the stern of the boat. This changes the pitch of the boat (angle of the longitudinal axis relative to level) in a measureable amount, but overall buoyancy in a miniscule amount... similar to the fat kid and skinny kid on the teeter-totter.

"Give me a lever large enough, and I shall lift the Earth"

The arm is more crucial here than the amount of lift... but again we are dealing in tiny amounts (micro-knots). I believe in the doctrine of "no stone left unturned" but.... I would rather practice with an average boat everyday for 2 weeks before an event, than go their with 2 days practice and the fastest boat.[B)]
Larry Ludwig

Postby bogordoug » Wed May 25, 2005 5:31 pm

Yes, Reinhart rudders float when new, but after a bit of use they gain a bit of weight (water creeps inside between the rudder itself and the metal shaft). So in the short run positive, but the the long run a drag. :<|}[:)]

Doug Hale
bogordoug

Postby Rick West » Wed May 25, 2005 6:16 pm

Oh well! We told it all on the building site years ago. There are two pages on weight, weighing and trim. The numbers are all there. There is one page on a highly accurate tank. The yellow boat is still sailing. I am going back to my room...

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kermwood » Thu May 26, 2005 1:56 am

Yes Rick the building site does tell it all about how to get the weght and trim,all except what l was asking and that was what weight skippers had actually managed to build to and not what it should be.
(Guess l"ll be sent to MY room now [:D])
Woody
kermwood

Return to Below Deck