veneer deck process

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

veneer deck process

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue May 10, 2005 1:31 am

1.What I did was put glass tissue on the bottom side of the teak ( paper backed, but that should not matter much) vacume bagged the bottom glass on.

2. then I put the deck on the boat, as per instructions on the building site.

3. I then trimmed the overhang with a sharp utility knife.....making sure to cut the proper direction so the cut does not run up the grain

4. then I sanded the remaining overhang to be what I wanted as far as the deck seam

5. I then retaped the hull with blue tape, approx 1/4" down the side ( 1/4" of hull above the blue tape)

6. I then cut a peice of .75oz glass (woven) to the approx size of deck with appropriate overhang.

7.Then you wet out that glass and wet it out over the sheer and onto the Hull...this will seal the side of the teak as well as ad structual integrity to your boat.

8. when the resin gets leaaaathery, you cut it with an exacto knife right along the blue tape

9. when eveything is cured up you can remove the blue tape

10. I put two or three thin coats of west system on the deck

10.5 Whyen all is cured up you can fair the deck glass into the hull...although I have seen it just left the way it was......depends on what you want for end product.

11. Then sand away to get the little bubbles out

12, then sand with higher grit

13. then sand with higher grit

14, then polish/compound

15 then wax

End Product will look like a museum quality varnished teak deck......rich dark and deep looking
Doug Wotring

Return to Below Deck