Backstay Eye Bolt location

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Backstay Eye Bolt location

Postby Ralph Merkle » Mon May 02, 2005 10:57 am

I was just reviewing some video I had shot at the regatta held in Orlando this past April . I began to notice some variation in the location of the back stay eye bolt . Going back to Mark Rinehart and Rick West's EC-12 Construction Layout plans , that location is at the 56 in. point with no tolerance given . I thought this dimension was cast in concrete but looking in the EC-12 manual by Bob Wells this dimension is 56 3/4 inches . Which is correct or are these just "suggested" locations ? A similar problem exists with a crane dimension . See my entry under "Sails and Rigs" .
Ralph Merkle

Postby kahle67 » Mon May 02, 2005 11:43 am

The back stay attachment point can be located anywhere as long as it does not extend beyond the transom.

Reichard Kahle 1767
kahle67

Postby Gene Rosson » Wed May 25, 2005 10:12 pm

Why not put use a chain plate attached to the transom for the back stay? Reasons....transom is strong enough, and installation is simple. Putting the backstay farthest aft will reduce mast compession a little bit.
Gene Rosson

Postby DBrawner » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:04 am

Gene:
We move the backstay attachment point forward to avoid tangling with another boat as they ride across your stern.

DB
DBrawner

Postby Gene Rosson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:45 pm

Thanks for the advice DB. It makes good sense but it seems a trifle. If a port tack skipper is trying to duck under the stern he has about 3 or 4 inches more space when the backstay is forward. OK I'll put my backstay forward somewhere and play the odds, even if it's only three inches worth.
Gene Rosson

Postby yachtie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:54 am

Ralph, as Dave Brawner says - as far forward to forget tangles.

I moved an eyelet as farc forward as possible to miss the boom and sail. I still have an eylet right by the transom which leads forward and then up witha bowsie to tension to the back stay.

Since doin this I have had NO [:D] hook ups with other boats. Sure as hell beats the "close calls" with sharp pointy bits inside the back stay. [:D][:D][8D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Return to Below Deck