Hull Molding

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Hull Molding

Postby Ben Diss » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:54 pm

Do any hull makers use epoxy? Also, is anyone bagging their hulls in the mold using peel ply?
Ben Diss

Postby Larry Ludwig » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:49 am

I have bagged two hulls, but it is quite expensive and I did not continue with it because I did not think that it was something people would be willing to pay for, and they came out under the minimum hull weight (1 Kg)which defeats the purpose of bagging them (to make them as light and strong as possible)

Last week I finished a new deck mold, and pulled a deck from it the same as the hull (7781 pre-preg sandwich on divinicell core) and it came out to 6 oz and was quite strong... but I don't think anyone would want to pay $300.00 for it... so...
Larry Ludwig

Postby Ben Diss » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:23 pm

Don't be so sure ...

Since it's coming out lighter, why not add another layer of glass?

Whtcha gonna do with that hull? Is it legal?

-Ben
Ben Diss

Postby Larry Ludwig » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:29 pm

No it is not legal because it is underweight. To produce a hull by that means (bagged, vac, cooked,) would have a retail price of about $500.00 and I don't think that anyone is going to pay that for a non-gelcoated hull in the first place, and it becomes even less likely when you can buy a standard wet layup, gelcoat hull that weighs 1-2 ounces more for half that.

When I made them I was not aware that you could turn out a gelcoat hull that light (1 Kg) Now the hulls I am making are coming out at 2 lbs 4 oz. I considered just making the deck... hence the new deck mold, but the deck would be at least $300.00 and again... I don't think that anyone is willing to pay that much for it, so it is a moot point. I can make an 8 oz gelcoat deck that needs about 3 oz of divinicell support pieces inside that works just about as well. (Lacks some inherent strength hence the supports)

I would be interested to know... if anyone has taken the time to weigh the wooden supports and frame structure that is currently being used as well as the weight of the standard balsa/glass deck. I have heard weights on the deck as being around 8 oz.

The 2 underweight hulls were permanently altered into another program that is on long term development.[8D]
Larry Ludwig

Postby Pink66 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:57 pm

Hi Larry, I have weighed the deck parts and the framing comes out to about 5 ounces and the balsa deck with 2 oz cloth on both sides is about 5 ounces also.

Mark
Pink66

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:04 am

Thanks Mark, those are the first figures I have seen.
Larry Ludwig

Postby Ben Diss » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:55 am

Getting back to this...

Larry- Do you sell hulls? I was going to call you, but when I looked at the suppliers list I didn't see your name.

-Ben
Ben Diss

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:36 am

Hi Ben,

glad you found us, enjoyed talking with you. If there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to let me know... that is what we are here for. Sorry that things are not further along... trying to get a lot of things going in different directions to all play nicely together.
LL
Larry Ludwig

Postby s vernon » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:03 am

Larry,

Today you made it onto the supplier's list on the EC12 website for all the world to see. For info to others - Many blank pages at present on the website. Many pretty pictures in the "boats" section and EC12 hull and parts info in that section as well. Pretty does not cover it. A J boat (Ranger) with a genoa may not be practical, but it is awesome. Good luck.

Scott
s vernon

Return to Below Deck