Tool for filing/grinding top of lead ballast

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Tool for filing/grinding top of lead ballast

Postby s vernon » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:00 pm

Is there a good way to remove 1/8th inch from the top of a poured lead ballast. Surform and wood rasp do the job, but are very slow. I am thinking of maybe sacrificing a router bit. (?) I do not own a grinder, but this might be a good excuse to get one. Seems like the lead would quickly fill up and ruin a grinding wheel. It is winter in Atlanta so I could easily freeze the lead overnight if that has any benefit.

I make big cuts with a Jr. Sawzall, but 1/8th inch seems like a job for something with more finesse/control.

Thank you.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:06 pm

I think the rasp is the way to go, you can get them with larger "teeth"
Doug Wotring

Postby kahle67 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:37 pm

I screwed up on my current boats pour and had to remove some lead from up forward. Used a dremel tool with a router bit attachment (dremel makes them). I was able to remove nearly 8oz. and placed that weight on the back of the pour to trim the boat out properly. Be careful not to let the tool get away from you, though.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Postby PaulP » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:28 pm

You'll find the lead machines better if it is chilled. At room temp, the surform tool is going to be your best bet. Might be tedious but I think you'll prefer the job it does.

Anything that produces heat only creates a problem as the lead melts and clogs the cutting edges.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby kahle67 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:07 pm

The dremel router attachment only has two cutting blades. The lead does not build up on the cutting tool. Instead it flings all over the place. Good point on cooling the lead though for conventional sanding or grinding.

RK
kahle67

Return to Below Deck