Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby shoman24v » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey all... I recently acquired my grandfathers old sailboat. My dad finally moved out of his house and this came down from the rafters after being there for 20+ years. I'm very familiar with RC, but 1/10th cars. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Can any of you guys ID this boat?

Image
Image
Image
Image
| Team Associated RC10 World's Re-release | Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles | RPM Ballcups | Gold Shock Shafts | JConcepts Black Aluminum Steering | Factory Team Blue Screws |
shoman24v
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:01 am

Can't see your pictures. Nevermind, browser problem. Saw the pictures.
Last edited by MichaelJ2K on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
User avatar
MichaelJ2K
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:44 pm
Location:

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby shoman24v » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:41 am

| Team Associated RC10 World's Re-release | Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles | RPM Ballcups | Gold Shock Shafts | JConcepts Black Aluminum Steering | Factory Team Blue Screws |
shoman24v
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:16 am

I think you can take the label at what it says- Reynolds Custom built A- class. Photo seems to show a spade rudder. Otherwise looks similar to a ec-12, maybe he modified from 12 but spade rudder.

Might be helpful to get length and beam, better photo of underbody/rudder.
There was an 'A' class at one time in AMYA I think.

My copy of the 1986 AMYA Handbook does not show an A Class but shows 'International A Class' rules that seem to indicate it dates back into the 70's but Max length was 1Meter.
Tom Phillips
265
St Augustine, FL
User avatar
bigfoot55
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 4:48 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby shoman24v » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:25 am

bigfoot55 wrote:I think you can take the label at what it says- Reynolds Custom built A- class. Photo seems to show a spade rudder. Otherwise looks similar to a ec-12, maybe he modified from 12 but spade rudder.

Might be helpful to get length and beam, better photo of underbody/rudder.
There was an 'A' class at one time in AMYA I think.

My copy of the 1986 AMYA Handbook does not show an A Class but shows 'International A Class' rules that seem to indicate it dates back into the 70's but Max length was 1Meter.


Can you clarify what length and beam mean?

This boat is roughly 6'-7' in length and about 8' tall with the sail. I also have about 40lbs of brass ballasts that go inside.

Other than the old electronics I imagine I could get it working rather easily?
| Team Associated RC10 World's Re-release | Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles | RPM Ballcups | Gold Shock Shafts | JConcepts Black Aluminum Steering | Factory Team Blue Screws |
shoman24v
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:33 am

How long is the boat from bow to back of the transom. Exactly. You indicate 6-7'
How wide is it amidships, the widest point of the boat.
How tall is the actual mast, not off the floor).
Are there sails, if so any markings?

An EC12 is only 58" and width would be 11.5 or so.
Ec12 mast is 72" long above deck.

Ballast for an ec12 would only be 15-18 lbs.
Tom Phillips
265
St Augustine, FL
User avatar
bigfoot55
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 4:48 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby shoman24v » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:53 am

I'll get the information later today when I'm off work.
| Team Associated RC10 World's Re-release | Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles | RPM Ballcups | Gold Shock Shafts | JConcepts Black Aluminum Steering | Factory Team Blue Screws |
shoman24v
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby shoman24v » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:59 am

bigfoot55 wrote:How long is the boat from bow to back of the transom. Exactly. You indicate 6-7'
How wide is it amidships, the widest point of the boat.
How tall is the actual mast, not off the floor).
Are there sails, if so any markings?

An EC12 is only 58" and width would be 11.5 or so.
Ec12 mast is 72" long above deck.

Ballast for an ec12 would only be 15-18 lbs.

Ok, here are the numbers I got just now.

Length = 87"
Width = 15.5"
Height = Approx. 19"
Sail = 96"
Ballasts = 49lbs

Another question I would have is, what is it's value? I would imagine that this boat, at least the time, was a pretty penny. It's quite large and would have had a very small niche group. My grandfather who owned it was quite well off (died when I was a baby), and from what my dad told me, the reason he had an FM radio built was because he didn't want to have wait for someone to get off of their frequency so that he could use his boat. The boat is too large for me to keep, let alone use. I don't have means to transport something this large, and frankly, I'm more into RC cars.

Some more pictures:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Got it cleaned:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
| Team Associated RC10 World's Re-release | Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles | RPM Ballcups | Gold Shock Shafts | JConcepts Black Aluminum Steering | Factory Team Blue Screws |
shoman24v
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:08 pm

This in an A-Class and an old one at that. They are popular in Australia. It is an open class and the designs are always being improved on. Today they have fin keels with bulbs, and look a lot like the last generation of America's Cup Class yachts. This will make a nice boat to sail around, but I don't think it can compete with the newer boats. You might find a vintage group to sail with.

Maybe the J-class will let you sail with them in a friendly race, but I think it would be out classed there as well.

Good luck with it.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
User avatar
Capt. Flak
 
Posts: 2069
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:30 am

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:09 pm

If you post your photos and info here; http://www.rcgroups.com

Maybe someone in California will notice it.
Tom Phillips
265
St Augustine, FL
User avatar
bigfoot55
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 4:48 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby shoman24v » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Capt. Flak wrote:This in an A-Class and an old one at that. They are popular in Australia. It is an open class and the designs are always being improved on. Today they have fin keels with bulbs, and look a lot like the last generation of America's Cup Class yachts. This will make a nice boat to sail around, but I don't think it can compete with the newer boats. You might find a vintage group to sail with.

Maybe the J-class will let you sail with them in a friendly race, but I think it would be out classed there as well.

Good luck with it.

This is good information, thank you.

bigfoot55 wrote:If you post your photos and info here; http://www.rcgroups.com

Maybe someone in California will notice it.


Thank you!
| Team Associated RC10 World's Re-release | Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles | RPM Ballcups | Gold Shock Shafts | JConcepts Black Aluminum Steering | Factory Team Blue Screws |
shoman24v
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby jsarey » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:33 pm

When I first saw it I thought "6 meter!" then I noticed the keel and rudder were different ..
and the scale
Since is is an EC12 forum, I left the bow of one in the picture.
Both Reynolds boats.

I hope it doesn't end up as décor somewhere..
Attachments
Reynolds 6meter 23 s.jpg
Reynolds 6meter 23 s.jpg (142.09 KiB) Viewed 31124 times
jsarey
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby shoman24v » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:00 pm

jsarey wrote:When I first saw it I thought "6 meter!" then I noticed the keel and rudder were different ..
and the scale
Since is is an EC12 forum, I left the bow of one in the picture.
Both Reynolds boats.

I hope it doesn't end up as décor somewhere..

That looks very similar to mine!
| Team Associated RC10 World's Re-release | Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles | RPM Ballcups | Gold Shock Shafts | JConcepts Black Aluminum Steering | Factory Team Blue Screws |
shoman24v
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 pm

shoman24v wrote:Hey all... I recently acquired my grandfathers old sailboat.
Can any of you guys ID this boat?


PM sent.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
User avatar
MichaelJ2K
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:44 pm
Location:

Re: Acquired a very old sailboat... need help with its info.

Postby jsarey » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:26 pm

Little ( but older ) brother.. I got it about '66
Deck length 65"
Beam 11.5"
Mast 71" (all spars wood)
Same white over blue- with gold waterline
Sails by the same seamstress

Real opportunity for some forced perspective
jsarey
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Next

Return to Below Deck

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron