West System Six-10 Epoxy

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

West System Six-10 Epoxy

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 am

Anyone have experience with this? http://www.gougeonbrothers.com/Six10/ A Thickened epoxy in a caulking tube. Looked like the right amount to do a structured deck, already thickened and with the possibility of mixing small batches also. Makes a 1/8 in bead 40 ft long using the mixing tube.

I finally used up my can of 105 resin and thought this would be a cost effective alternative to buying new .

So far I have mixed a small batch to set the rudder tube. It is thick. Does not flow at all. Trying to pour it out of a mixing cup was almost impossible. Had to use a mixing stick and the top looked like whipped cream peaks setting there. Turns out that indeed it did not even sag all the way to bottom of my dam, left a hollow. So have used a thin 5 min epoxy to pour in to fill it in. Will have to check the rudder tube to be sure the outside is sealed.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Re: West System Six-10 Epoxy

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed May 29, 2013 10:51 am

Tom,

Not sure if there is a way to thin it some but it sounds like it may be a little too thick for a deck joint. May take too much pressure to get a good squeeze and a nice narrow seam along the shear. How expensive is it?

I have been looking at this glue called Plexus which is what we have used in the boat business to do a primary bond in a bow thruster tube. Is a two part that mixes in the tube and has a working time of about an hour which is plenty to do a deck with. The bond is very good or almost too good as I think that some may, at some point want to take the deck off and put a new one on. That can be done now with West Epoxy using a heat gun with no damage to the hull shear. Not sure the same would happen with Plexus. My just be too good I think. The epoxy version of 5200. Don't want that. Plexus is also very expensive and you use a mixing tip every time you use it no matter how much you need.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 am

West System says- "Six10's shear thinning properties make it "thinner" as it's worked. It can be easily tooled into a non-sagging fillet or used to wet out light to moderate reinforcing fabrics like fiberglass. The hardener provides a long open time but has fast thru-cure. Six10 stays workable in the static mixer for 42 minutes, making it practical for long or complicated assemblies." I found it did 'thin out' if 'troweled'. Maybe if you stir it a lot. I have mixed two small batches, seems to work OK.

I would just as soon thicken the 105 resin in the usual way. But I figure $60 for resin/hardener vs 21.50 at West Marine for the tube of Six 10. about 6.5 oz., enough to do a boat plus some extra stuff. I will use it with the mixing tube in doing the deck install (structured, wood)

My qt of 105 resin lasted me 10+ yrs, a Thistle renovation, two 12's, and a bunch of other stuff. If they had a smaller option other than the repair packs I would certainly go that way.

UPDATE- I found the cartridge and thickened epoxy very easy to use. Pretty expensive at 21.00 for the tube and one mixing wand, but simple to use vs mixing resin/hardener and thickener. Used acid brush( clipped short) to spread and dab where needed. Now if it is still useable when I try to use the remainder in the tube............ If you are only doing one boat- works well.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby bigfoot55 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:05 pm

After a year of sitting opened around the shop, I have used left over Six-10 for various gluing jobs. It mixed well with fairing compound and sanded out just as regular West system stuff works. Able to squeeze out less than an ounce quantities for small jobs easily. No mixing tube needed of course. Can always get another mixing tube if the need is there.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Return to Below Deck