rudder adjustment

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

rudder adjustment

Postby Dennis Del Mauro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:16 am

Just purchased a used EC 12 from a member of my club(PBGMYS) and I'm completely new to this. Noticed yesterday, the second time out sailing, that when TX/RX are activated and the rudder control is neutral that the rudder is slightly offset to starboard. Since I did not build the boat I'm unsure how to adjust the linkage to neutral helm. I can see the 'arm' on the futaba 'servo' which is connected to the arm at the rudder by a threaded rod. Can anyone explain how I should go about making the adjustment? Did not want to start messing with these controls until I knew more. Thanks and use small words.
Dennis Del Mauro

Re: rudder adjustment

Postby Fred Maurer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 am

Hello Dennis, First, welcome to the class. To your question, as you must know each EC-12 is handmade and in many ways unique. That makes a definitive answer unlikely. However there are a couple of things to look for. The easiest of all is the ruder trim on the transmitter. Check to make sure it is centered or at least near center when checking the rudder alignment. Next there is usually an Allen wrench cap screw that holds the tiller arm to the top of the ruder post. If that post has not had a flat spot filed/machined into it to receive the cap screw it is an easy matter to loosen the cap screw and adjust the rudder alignment and retighten. If it has the flat spot then the alignment of the tiller arm and the rudder cannot be easily adjusted. In that case it is back to the rod that connects the servo arm to the tiller arm. On some of these there is a threaded connection at one or both ends that allows for adjustment. Baring that adjustment, you have the option of adjusting the servo arm on the servo. I find that if none of these “fixes” are effective or feasible for some reason, it is just as easy to build a new connecting rod of the proper length. The great thing about this site is that there will be other folks on here to lend a hand. I am guessing there is a club member in your area that is experienced with this problem and he will be happy to help you through the process. Best of luck.
Fred Maurer

Postby Dennis Del Mauro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:55 am

Fred,
thanks for the speedy, comrehensive response. Understand what you've explained and will attempt the fix. The original owner is away at the regatta in Charleston, SC or I'd have asked him first. Again, thanks. Love the boat.
Dennis
Dennis Del Mauro

Postby Rick West » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:36 am

Just to add to my good friend from State College, a visit to the Building Site at http://www.ec12.info you can see "Under the Hood" of a 12. Browsing, you can see the general practices and process for building the EC12. In the Rudder section you can see in detail what Fred has described that you cannot easily from the hatch area. Welcome.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Dennis Del Mauro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Fixed the problem thanks to the checklist you provided... a simple matter of the rudder fine tune on the TX being set beyond neutral( due I suspect to ham fistedness). Again many thanks for the interest shown.
Dennis
Dennis Del Mauro

Postby Fred Maurer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 pm

I am glad that it all worked out for you and you will be back on the water headed in the right direction. The web site that Rick suggested is worth any time spent on it. There are all kinds of neat ideas and different ways of doing things well explained. Highly recommended and used by many. Enjoy your boat and perhaps you will get up this way some time. You would be most welcome on our start line.
Fred Maurer

Postby greerdr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 am

He bought Jon's boat and I am sure it was a "fine tune Tx" problem.
But it really is a pleasure to see how fast and comprehensive answers are in our class.
Thanks again Rick West for the really informative site you built for the class.
You were mentioned often and favorably this Champions regatta week-end in Charlestown.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Below Deck