Dumas Hull

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Dumas Hull

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 pm

I am having a bit of trouble identifying a boat I acquired last year. It is registered as a Dumas but I am not sure about that. There are no markings in the hull and it looks exactly like the Bill Lowe boat that I also got at the same time. Dumas claims they only had one mold so can anyone give me say the top three signs your boat is a Dumas? This one has no Dumas decal that I have seen on other boats so the reason for the question.

Any help here is appreciated. If it is a Dumas, that's fine with me just want to make sure.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Re: Dumas Hull

Postby Rick West » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Chuck, what is the YRN and the person that had the hull before you? Does it have a molded deck?
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 am

Rick,

It is registered as a Dumas YRN 837 owned by Jack Murphy. Dumas #1535. It does have a molded deck that has a flange the rolls over the shear. That alone might suggest its a Dumas but their are no markings inside the hull other than a round decal that looks like a Sail Maker Decal "Babel and Brakenrigde" or something like that. I have pulled the deck off the boat and would like to confirm that it is a Dumas. The only reason I am asking any questions at all is that most Dumas hulls that I have seen have a Dumas decal inside the hull. When I pulled this deck off, I found nothing. I am going to heat up the sail maker decal and see if there is anything under that...

Just pulled the decal out and there is no Dumas decal under it.

For clarity, both these boats came out of the group in the Keys. In fact, Jack Murphy's father used to live down there. The other of the two boats is identified as a Bill Lowe boat currently owned by Ken Koehler in Old Orchard Beach Maine and these two hulls are identical so it seems to me that they came out of the same mold. It IS possible that they purchased a deck from Dumas back then.

These are just the facts as I know them, I might be opening up a huge can of worms here for no reason so if that is the case, let me know. I will complete the refit as a Dumas and carry on...

I was actually looking for any key indications that a hull may or may not be a Dumas. Each builder/hull seemed to have some clear distinguishing marks back then.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:03 pm

I do not know of any keys to ID a Dumas hull other than the keel is slightly less wide than the 95 Standard, which our current hull is made from. I have not seen a Dumas hull from a kit by Dumas Products to have any markings within the hull that it is their product. The three such kits built here at Delta MYC in 1994 were serial numbers 2098, 2189 and 2154. These numbers were on the building manual and not in the hull. Likewise, I have not received a photo, for verification of registration, of such a label during my tenure.

This 837 has a long history, as noted in the Registry, starting in 1986 and ha 9 registrations recorded over several class secretaries. Whereas, the class grandfathers previously registered Dumas boats and hulls, her history should be accepted.

Bill Low is still involved in lower Florida and may be able to answer the questions you have to her origin. Tom Phillips has the class index card files dating back into the 70's and could also put you in contact with Bill, if you like.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Return to Below Deck