Removable Baballast Measurements

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Removable Baballast Measurements

Postby Midniteblue » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Can someone give me some measurements of the new removable ballast that can be seen in the building web site, the one with the blue masking tape and 18 lbs 5.6 oz. using as reference the slotted holder for the compression strut. . Min and Max Length Fore and Aft, Max Width......

Thanks
Val
Midniteblue

Re: Removable Baballast Measurements

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Val, there is no difference to a removable ballast and one that is glued into the boat. They depend on the type of pour you have or want. They can be long pours or short pours. It all depends on how you want to balance the boat. If you are using one of the pre-molded ballasts from RMD or CPM or any other lead, you are simply not gluing it into the hull. You can place a small stop at the back end of the lead to keep it from shifting and Tom Germer's design uses the compression post to secure the front of the lead from moving as well as hold the radio board in place. I have just finished building a brand new boat as well as rebuilding an older boat. In both cases the leads are removable, but one is about two inch longer than the other. With old boat the lead was poured in the boat by Dave Brawner about 7 years ago. It was once glued into the hull. We cut it out of the hull (doing a little damage in the process) and then rebalanced the boat. We cut off a little of the lead from the back and repoured it onto the front. The other lead was from a mold and needed very little changes. Only a small amount was cut off the back end of the lead to balance the boat. Both leads are within a couple of ounces of each other, but their shape is a little different.

It is hard to give you measurements for the lead. You just need to put it in the boat, float the boat and balance it where you want it. When you are happy where the boat floats (mine are very close to deck level at 42.25 waterline) then you glue in the little stop at the back and do the final attachment of the radio board.

Tom Germer has the whole instructions on the EC12 site.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Val,
The ballast your are indicating on the building site is not a removable ballast. This was one prepared for a boat built several years before the suggestion for removable ballast. This ballast is a standard ballast provided that was used in the first build in the Delta shop for installation of the System Board. Note the date on the page.

Nonetheless, the dimensions of the ballast have not changed and are the ones received from the manufacturer of the hull. Removable ballast is trimmed along the sides so it will slide easily into the keel without a lot of friction. This to make it easier to remove be a handle. This trimming removes weight from the ballast as it was shipped. Most will want to add trim ballast to the slug to bring it back up to the weight desired, most like to 18.5 pounds.

So, the dimensions have not changed.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Midniteblue » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 pm

This is the reason I asked the question.
I had to remove the deck of my Hickman #243 because it was getting unglued. I got from a friend a Hickman # 354 that he tried to build but end up to be forgotten on a shelf. #354 is assembled as much as the #243 without the deck that I am fixing. He poured the lead in the boat following information available at the time but he told me he really didn’t know what he was doing. I tried to compare the 2 boats to decide what to do next. At first it looks #243 has a “Long” pour, ( F)ore 9.5” from Compression Strut and (A)ft 11”; #354 has a “Short” pout, F4.5” and A9.5”. The Ballast in the building site that I refer to, I estimated to be F2.0” and A11”, with a High concentration of weight in the compression strut area. Next I weighed the boats (Hull - Rudder - Deck Stations ) and #243 is 19 lbs 8oz and #354 18 lbs and 9oz. I got 9oz lead and added them to the end of #354 to bring to the same weight. Next I checked the longitudinal balance of the boats. I hanged the boats frown the sealing and checked at what distance from the bow they are in balance. The Center of Lateral Resistance in a FINISHED boat is between 32 5/8 and 33 ½. For #243 the balance point was 31 5/8 and for #354 31 6/8. Considering that they are UNFIHISHED and Sail winch and Rudder Servo are missing I think they are in the ball park with the standards and the 2 boats are similar. Next I will compare how they will float in the Water Tank and then I will decide what next. Any suggestion is welcomed

Val
Midniteblue

Return to Below Deck