Black plastic screw used as thru deck fairlead

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Black plastic screw used as thru deck fairlead

Postby s vernon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:50 pm

I got a bunch of these on a used boat that I bought. They are a one inch long 3/16 diameter black plastic bolt with a 1/4 inch high head for keeping the water on the deck out of the boat and a hole drilled down the middle for the sheet.

Nice piece. Looks like a specialty item rather than a converted plastic bolt. It is not hex head, that indentation is round.

I think they are pretty popular, maybe more so up north. I assume that the thread in the glass foam deck gets cut by just using a coarse thread 3/16 bolt or maybe a homemade thread cutter made by hack sawing that bolt off on the thread leaving a nice little burr for good thread cutting.

Any information like where can I buy them?

Thank you,

Scott
s vernon

Postby DBrawner » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:15 am

Scott,
It's most likely 3/16" delrin stock with 1/4-20 threads. On a foam core deck, it is highly suggested that a 1/4-20 nylon nut be used underneath the deck. If anyone has them on sale, my guess would be Dave Ramos.

DB
DBrawner

Postby s vernon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks Dave, but Dave Ramos seems to use PeKaBe which are very good. I found a picture of them on the RW build site. They are a no longer available Mike Zee part. I guess I will just cherish the 4 that I got with 1778. They have nice height to try to keep water out of the boat. Looks like 3/16 inch course thread made from 1/4 inch diameter Delrin.

http://www.ec12.info/images/Decking/Str ... DECK76.JPG

http://www.ec12.info/images/Rigging/Classic/RIG-093.JPG

Scott
s vernon

Postby MichaelJ2K » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:43 pm

That is a through the deck sheet line exit that was provided by Probar. A nylon nut was attached on the underside of the deck to secure it.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Return to Below Deck