Cockpit

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Cockpit

Postby Columbia » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Has anyone ever made a cockpit to attach a helm steering wheel or just non flush deck? Since it not flush with the deck would this be consider a second opening and not legal? I'm sure this would not help performance.There is the question of making a self bailing cockpit.[:)] Of course there is a reason why this idea crossed my mind and one would have to see the boat to understand why I would consider such a nutty idea.

Joe
Columbia

Postby Rick West » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Keep it simple, Joe. Trust me, the less there is and the clean it is will be low maintenance and near zero issues at the lake.

However, this part is the hobby. Follow your heart and report back.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:23 pm

if you ever raced big ocean yachts you hated the cockpit.That is almost always where the water invaded below decks from.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Columbia » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Rick, I hear your advise and you are correct. I've had this boat since 87 and I thought that now I make it look like a true scale 12 meter (Columbia US16). I know the idea is not sound in a competitive environment and of course I'm concern about the line getting caught with the contraptions. My real concern is cutting out a hole for a cockpit and making the boat illegal. The winches and hatches (with no openings of course) are a go. So when I finish, If I ever finish, I will provide pictures for comments. I welcome thoughts from other crazies out there.

Joe
Columbia

Return to Below Deck