Deck sealing

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Deck sealing

Postby Bigjake » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:44 pm

I am just starting in EC12s and have acquired a Sailcraft (registered) boat that some people before me have started to put together but never completed. The boat came with a hull and deck. The deck is made up of strips of woode glued to some ribs and to a wooden sheer clamp. It looks great however one can see gaps in between the wood strips. I'd hate to remove the deck and would love to seal it while maintaining the natural wood look. Any advice? BTW, the hull (with rudder support) and deck weigh 3 lbs 12 Oz.

Jake
Bigjake

Postby Rick West » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:58 pm

This is a good hull but the boat was stated to be a rebuilt. The first issue is to plan for a replacement of the interior functions that are needed. The main is the radio gear and platform.

Until you make decisions on this the deck lies in the background. The reason is that one treads on the other. If the plan is to replace the boat's sheeting system, can it be put in place with the deck on. If yes, then do it now so you know it can be done. Any work on saving this deck hinges on this and you would not have spent time and energy fixing the deck to find you needed to remove it.

Make sense?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Bigjake » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Rick, your comment makes a lot of sense. I have already done what you are implying. I got rid of all the old systems and am going to put in the latest ones. I checked and could get all the new "machinery" into the hull through the existing ample main hatch. I am an experienced woodworker and modeller and could fabricate and install a new deck without any problems however I really would rather use the time and go sailing. Makes sense?
Bigjake

Postby Rick West » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 am

I hear what you are saying and appreciate your stated skills. Put the system board RC system in and test it to make sure you have the sheeting and reliability expected. If this works for you, the old deck can be sealed with an overlay of epoxy resin like West System.

Just know this; the old deck and its support structure are likely to be heavier than a molded deck installation. Now you will be adding about 4 ounces of resins to seal it. It is not so much the weight but that it is up high and added righting moments.

We are not talking craftsmanship but racing properties. It is clear you will enjoy this rebuild and then where will you go. If you care, save the hull/boat for yourself or someone else for her heritage use.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Bigjake » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:17 am

I appreciate the fact that I'd be adding weight where less is best. As it is my first entry into EC12 racing (not to sailing), I recognize the fact that I have a lot to learn and should not expect to be very competitive at the start. So, I'll retain the deck with the penalty involved, sail and develop my skills and then see how things go.
Bigjake

Postby Jon Luscomb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Sail on Big Jake! We all hope to meet you at a regatta and check out your work....enjoy the boat for she sounds like a beauty

I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost.
Jon Luscomb

Return to Below Deck