New ballast for older boat

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

New ballast for older boat

Postby fearna » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi all - I am re-ballasting an old Dumas hull, #632, and want to know which of the newer ballasts will best fit or will fit with the least re-working. I have e-mailed HIckman to see if he still makes them and I have a friend who re-worked a Carr ballast to fit. Any suggestions?? Al Fearn
fearna

Postby Rick West » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Al,
There are no castings for Dumas ballast that I am aware of. The keel is far too small for todays standard ballast to fit. Hickman is no longer in business.

I do not know one who has reworked and EC12 ballast to fit. I am sure it can be done. Today and since the 95 Standard the keel ballast are all very similar so it would not matter which one picked to rework it.

Also, I show no listing in the Class Registry with a Dumas hull #662. What is the sail number?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:13 am

#632 not #662. It is listed in the registry.

Al,

Unfortunately, there is nothing available as Rick mentioned and reworking a '95 standard is not ideal. Is there a solid casting in the boat right now and is the deck still on (I assume it is)? I have a deckless Dumas in my garage that can be used for pouring a ballast.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby fearna » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Congatulations on your win and thanks for your reply to my post. My deck is on and I have not yet tried to remove the very poorly poured/shaped (very high)sloppy ballast. I am going to contact Rod Carr as I was told that he had a few older ballasts for the Dumas hull. This is going to be traumatic experience getting the old lead out, as the old boat now looks like new with new clothes. Thanks, Al Fearn
fearna

Re: New ballast for older boat

Postby boatyrd » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 pm

I am somewhat in the same boat. Wondering if a post 95 Ballast can be worked to fit an Ozmun. Anybody know? Boots
boatyrd

Return to Below Deck