Deck fastening with Gorilla glue

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Deck fastening with Gorilla glue

Postby hank571 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:58 am

I am about to fasten a molded deck to the hull. (Both RMD). I was considering using Gorilla glue rather than epoxy.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any advice on this course of action? Thanks for your help!!
hank571

Postby Rick West » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:16 am

I love Gorrilla glue and used it for a long time in boat crates and residentail house construction and repairs. I have not tried it for decking with concern for the expansion properties during the curing. My thought was it would push the deck away from the sheer flange. The sand sausages would not be enough to hold it. This is a guess and just a thought. Let us know how it comes out.

I use spring or bar clamps at a union in my use.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 am

I think I had better remove this recommendation for $5 Marine Epoxy to be used to install a deck. It might work, but I think there is no sense in putting my complete trust in it. I will put crossbraces under the deck in the areas of jib and stayracks and backstay screw eye and some long bolts. Epoxy like carbon fiber is scary stuff that is real great up until its limit, then "pop".

Scott
s vernon

Postby hank571 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks, Rick & Scott for your answers. I hadn't considered the possibility of the sand sausages not holding the deck in place against the glue foaming up. I'll stay away from that one. Scott, I've seen that epoxy, it's good, but the color (gray) well...
My objection to epoxy is the set time in a very warm garage. (about 85 degrees). I tried mixing up a test batch and keeping the mixing pot in a bowl of ice water. After 90 minutes or so, it was still soupy. after I removed it from the cold, it set fine. I think this is going to be my answer.
hank571

Postby geeks2you » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I just reepoxied my deck a month or so ago, and I would recommend epoxy over anything else. The longer set epoxy would work better than gorilla glue in my opinion and you could buy smaller tubes as Scott suggested. I was able to apply the epoxy with no problems and I even used West 205 instead of 206 which is shorter set time without any real rush in warmer temperatures (about 80 deg at the time of decking) in my garage. The other option is the 60 minute epoxy that Scott mentioned, but using a thickening agent, like col. silica or the like, to help get it to a "peanut butter" like consistency so it holds its bead shape better before laying on the deck.

Just my 2c...

Eric Olson
Atlanta Model Yacht Club
AtlMYC.org
geeks2you

Postby RMDJBD » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Hank

There are 3 solutions to the Epoxy problem and you can mix and match them.
1) You can get West 207 hardener which is for high temp and high humidity.
2) You can put the West resin and hardener in the fridge to lower the base temp to 40-50 degrees which will give you longer mixing and working time. The chemical reaction time does not start till about 60 deg's, one draw back the mix is quite stiff so it will be a little harder to mix and to get the right thickness when the mix finally gets to room temp.
3) After mixing of base,hardener and thickening agent, pour the mix out on to a glass or formica sheet to spread the mass out. Epoxy will set faster in large mass quantities than thin mass quanities.

I prefit the deck to the hull at least 3 times before the final set.
I make sure I have all the tools (mixing cups, stir sticks, syringes,paper towels, acetone) and epoxy lined up in order of use, and lay the sand sausages in order. It normally takes me 12-15 minutes mix, thicken and apply the deck, once the deck is on you can then put the sand sausages on, clean the seam and walk away.

I normally install the deck the last thing in the evening so it will have the whole night to set and you won't be every hour checking to see if it is hard, also in the evening the ambient temp is lower.

If you are totally confused now give me a call and I will walk you through the process.

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby greerdr » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Really recommend the Epoxy route.Used Gorilla glue to hold the rudder supports and it came loose off the hull.I chaulked it up to hull "gassing" but agree with the experts who have recommended epoxy.Joining like chemicals(hull,deck and glue) seems logical and has worked best for me.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Below Deck