rudder shape

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

rudder shape

Postby marcsmith » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 am

Hey folks

One of things about the ec 12 that has always "bothered" me was the rudder. it always looked like it did not fit the boat the way it stuck out beyond the "lines"

I was wondering how the rudder rule is interpreted. its a max height of 5" with most people have been using a 3.5x5" rectangle (more or less)

I was thinking of making a "trapezoidal" shape. no vertical section is greater than 5" the top portion of the rudder would follow the contour of the hull while the lower portion gracefully rounds upwards to "finish" the keel.

Surface area should not increase since all you are doing is moving the area from the lower portion of the rudder to the upper portion
marcsmith

Postby kahle67 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 pm

This is just an opinion but I have always considered the rudder measurments to be set in relation to the vertical plane of the leading edge of the rudder and shaft. Therefore the surfaces would have to fit into the 5 inch box.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Pink66 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Watch what happens when an EC12 heels over in a hard blow. That upper portion of the rudder shape you are proposing isn't in the water anymore and all the area you are removing would be. No steerage - not good....

Mark
Pink66

Return to Below Deck