Rudder Steering Arm

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Rudder Steering Arm

Postby Bigears » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:56 pm

Cannot locate the source for the double steering arm shown in the Hull 1979-1 build site, photo 44. My rudder shaft is 3/16. Any help i.d.ing the item and where to get it will be appreciated.
Bigears
Bigears

Postby Albert Stall » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:10 am

Hi Big Ears,

The double steering arm is used on my boat #1979. If you are looking at the pictures in my web album, that arm was used in a push-pull system that I later changed to a more conventional clevis and pushrod arrangement.

In any event, the double arm or single arm is available at any hobby shop or on line from Tower Hobbies or the like. You may have to drill it out to match with the shaft. Just make sure that you file a flat exactly perpendicular to the rudder on the rudder shaft. This serves two purposes. It will provide a positive position for the arm and if it does get loose, it will stay on the shaft and you won't loose your rudder. Look at Picasa web album at; http://picasaweb.google.com/Mywebpictur ... Hull19791#

I redesigned my chassis system so take a look at my Picasa web album at;
http://picasaweb.google.com/Mywebpictur ... XTofLXvAE#

You also may want to look at a different sheet arrangement; http://picasaweb.google.com/Mywebpictur ... KqOnZiabA#

Al Stall
Albert Stall

Postby s vernon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 am

Al,

A couple of things.

I think he wants the part number of the double steering arm. At least the manufacturer? Not easy to find this searching on the Tower Hobbies site. Or maybe he found it somewhere.

Also, not the right place, but you will get the message. Rick West cautioned us that you need to have a swage on your jumpers at the crane = your total boat build pictures #129 - to keep the top of the jumper wire from moving and staying to one side giving you a sideways bend in your mast. It is caused by a mast to mast snag, (or other snag) so it will never be a problem, since we are all so careful when we race. Right?

Scott
s vernon

Postby Bigears » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Vernon/Al
I could not find this double arm on Tower's web site. A part number would be good to have.

Al, in your redesign of the sheeting system where does the buffer terminate? Looks to be well aft. Any pix?

Bigears
Bigears

Postby Albert Stall » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Check out picture #23 at; http://picasaweb.google.com/Mywebpictur ... XTofLXvAE#

Also, I jumped the gun, I too cannot find the double arm. But let me ask why you want it?

Al S.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigears</i>

Vernon/Al
I could not find this double arm on Tower's web site. A part number would be good to have.

Al, in your redesign of the sheeting system where does the buffer terminate? Looks to be well aft. Any pix?

Bigears
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Al Stall
Albert Stall

Postby Bigears » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Al, I realized I was in the wrong forum. Correct, should have been in the Below Deck area but I do not know how to move it there. Does not much matter since I will follow your advice and use a single push rod on the rudder connection. Thanks for the help. This posting can now be closed.
Bigears
Bigears

Postby Albert Stall » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi George,

I'm at the St Pete regatta and I was talking to Bob Dudinsky about the steering arm. He makes a beauty that fits the 3/16 shaft of the rudder and you can retrofit your rudder to accomodate the screw that goes thru the arm and the rudder. This eliminates the need for a flat on the shaft. Contact RMD Marine if you want more info.

Al Stall
Albert Stall

Return to Below Deck