Equipment chassis

This section contains discussions on decks, hulls, rudders, ballasts.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Equipment chassis

Postby Albert Stall » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a plan for the equipment chassis that appears to be an extrusion shaped like an upside down "T"?

It appears a lot simpler than the one that I built re the building site.

Thanks

Al Stall
Albert Stall

Postby s vernon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Al,

Like I was telling you, I do not think there is a plan. You just need to look at pictures of a Reichard built boat or other boat and locate the winch and servos from the pictures. You will probably end up using a cut down 3 X 3 inch L since those are more readily avaiable. An L will screw to the lead fine. That big an L is perhaps no longer avaialble from Home Depot; maybe Lowes or local hardware store. Get something that is not too thick. .080 or .063 are both more than thick enough I would think. His looks like .080 to me.

Reichard puts a (fore/aft) fairlead forward of the mast post for the jib sheet.

It is difficult to take decent pictures thru the hatch, plus the image in Model Yachting magazine #145 page 22 loses detail because it is black and white.

You can see in one picture that Reichard only has one line coming off of the jib trim arm, so that line would have a block on the end. I worry about the weight of that block weighing down on the jib sheet. Maybe he puts an elastic running forward on that becket block so the block would stay at one controlled height.

Scott
s vernon

Postby kahle67 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:01 am

Bob Greer gave me a few lengths of T-bar on top of what I have found locally. Scrap aluminum door, window, storm shutter parts will do the job and is usually just thick enough to tap 4-40 threads into for the servo screws. L shaped will work just as well.

Scott, the line for the jib adjuster is tied to a small light delrin ring which the jib sheet passes through.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby greerdr » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Al,
Hurricane shutter wall mount pieces,bent strait.I'll bring you some to the lake but I agree the "L" is plenty strong enough and cheap and easy to get.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby s vernon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Al,

Just to be accurate. The L I bought a while back at Home Depot is 1/8th inch thick 2 X 2. I made a radio blade for my 1980's Robin and trimmed the heck out of the L. It is way too strong/heavy but it does the job well.

Good day for our gang. Thanks, Reichard for the delrin ring info and for the win. Go Dixie.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Albert Stall » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:57 am

Bob,

Thank you

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by greerdr</i>

Al,
Hurricane shutter wall mount pieces,bent strait.I'll bring you some to the lake but I agree the "L" is plenty strong enough and cheap and easy to get.

R.C.Greer
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Al Stall
Albert Stall

Postby greerdr » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Like the "Derlin ring" had something to do with this win.
The big man dominated!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Below Deck