Starting Line tactics

Sailboat racing is much like a chess game. You can use the rules to your advantage, and it is a fine art

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Starting Line tactics

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:47 pm

I know this topic will go large so I thought I would get it started. We all have a specific place we like to be on the line at the start but I am interested in what people's specific strategy is in the start sequence. It seems that few are mixing it up and are looking for the their same sweet spot every time.

Thoughts?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby MichaelJ2K » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:25 pm

Away from the crowd, that's for sure. Last thing you want is to be jammed up with other boats all trying to fit in the same space. Even if it means being a couple of seconds behind, you're bound to make it up somewhere else. Favored position on the line dosen't always mean an advantage.
MichaelJ2K

Postby IanHB » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:17 pm

[^]When setting a start line it is important to try NOT to make any particular position on the line "favoured."
This can be achieved in a number of different ways and in many cases a combination of those ways gives the best result.
I have found that offsetting the startline slightly to the right of the direct line between the windward and leeward marks takes away that tendancy for all to gather at the starboard end of the line.
If you can put in a little bit of "Port Bais"( not to much mind,) then that also gives a little more incentive to spread out along the line, just in case there is a windshift from the left which would allow the skilled sailor to cross the whole fleet.[:D]
The start line must be long enough for the size of the fleet.
If in doubt, GO LONGER. It is better to err on the long side, than the short side.
Finally the placment of an "anti barging mark," goes a long way towards eliminating those groups of screaming and yelling starters who raft up at the starboard end, all convinced they have the "right of way." That is often so hard to sort out successfully. [}:)]
Sorry Chuck I have not answered your question and perhaps there is no correct answer. If the start line is set correctly then there is no sweet spot, maybe then it comes down to technique.[8]

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:14 pm

Decision made based on one or more of the following factors:

1. Wind Direction
2. What the rest of the fleet is doing as a group and individually
3. Experience in the prior starts
4. Where the Jam car is. The guy that is likey to cause you a problem. Often it is best to do opposite of what he does.
5. Favored side?
6. Personal preference
7. Where a certain start might put you half way into the first leg. Sailing well ahead of where your boat is at the start.
Doug Wotring

Postby Ed Davis » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:55 pm

Hello everyone. I have lurked here for some time. I have a hull I am building and a second hull on order. This is a wonderful site and board. The EC12 appealed to me due to the resources available to the “new guyâ€
Ed Davis

Postby yachtie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 pm

Chuck
Have you ever noticed that more often than not the guy who hangs back a little from the mayhem tend to do very well? Being right on the line is not always the best place to be as there will be others above and below you all pucshing for their own bit of water[:0]
I try - and try is the word - to place myself behind the main group of boats pushing to the line - invariably there are tangles and yelps of disgust and calls like "what are you doing? and UP,UP GO UP you (&*^)^". By being just behind the melee you have choices - i.e go below the tangles or cross the line, tack away and go off with clear air - your best friend [8D]
You can then tack back and cover or truck off on your own with your friend - clear air[;)]
No matter what - we can't always get the start the way we want but if as Dugout says, if you have a strategy - STICK WITH IT[:)] You then sail where you want too on the track and are not dictated to by other skippers.
By putting yourself in the advantage slot you get to control your own race.
Happy Sailing and good starts![8)]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby greerdr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:09 pm

From painful lessons-STAY away from the guy you know will mess-up.All the best strategy and tactics will not make up for the tangle you need to extricate yourself from.The "hang back and zoom" is often a great start if there is enough breeze.In light air the start line can get sucked VERY dry.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:43 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all your input. The starting line is alway's a changing landscape for me on every start for many of the reasons you all have contributed. I totally agree with staying away from the guy who has a reputation of tangles. That one hits home! I guess the best advice is to be flexable while not losing sight of the goal. Hit the line at the gun with speed and position.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Sailing Strategy and Planning