2009 rule 18 from SA

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2009 rule 18 from SA

Postby s vernon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:27 am

I modified this to be 4 lengths. It is from Sailing Anarchy.

Q: Leeward mark rounding
Boat A & B are sailing downwind. Boat A is approaching the leeward mark on port jibe (port rounding). Boat B on port jibe has an inside overlap, acquired from outside the four boat length zone. Boat A gives boat B room to round on the inside. Boat B rounds the mark but comes out low, giving boat A room to round behind, but above boat B. Boat B tacks onto starboard immediately after rounding right in front of boat A (still within the four boat length zone). Before boat B became close hauled, boat A had to take a radical evasive maneuver (duck) to prevent contact.
Skipper of boat B said that the tack was part of the mark rounding so he had right of way.
Skipper of boat A said that boat B did not have room to complete the tack onto starboard before clearing/contact (tacking too close). Can a tack be part of rounding, with all of it's rights?

A: Only when a boat (B) is overlapped to windward (by A) and (B is)on the inside of another boat (A) does mark-room include room to tack. When B passes head to wind, rule 18 switches off, whether or not the boats at that moment are overlapped. However, if B at that moment is overlapped to windward and on the inside, she would be exonerated if she broke rule 13 while tacking round the mark. If B is clear ahead and then tacks without keeping clear, she breaks rule 13 and there would be no exoneration.

me. I finally understand that rule change. Yippee. I just do not think it is workable for us in a lot of situations.

How could model boat sailors standing on the shore possibly judge whether or not these boats were overlapped or not by a few inches at the MOMENT when B passes head to wind? I suppose one boat or the other would have the onus (I know we don't deal with onus anymore.) of proving that there was or was not an overlap. I would guess the protest would generally be won by boat B if the "facts" are unclear. ????

Another thing - In order for A to be to windward of B as the two boats approach the (port rounding) mark, they need to both be on starboard jibe or B on starboard and A on port. I just thought I would throw that in for further understanding/clarity of this difficult to understand rule. If they were both on port jibe then A would not be to windward of B.

Did I get any of this right?

Scott
s vernon

Return to Sailing with the RRS