Close hauled port starboard

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Close hauled port starboard

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:39 pm

While I am stirring up everyones knowledge of the rules, I have another one.

Two boats, "A" which is close hauled on Starboard tack and "B" which is also close hauled but on port tack, are about to cross. Boat "A" hails Starboard and boat "B" tacks away to stay clear. Boat "A" then tacks just before he arrives at the point of intersection had boat "B" not tacked.

Did boat "A" break a rule?

Good Luck

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:47 pm

No, do it all the time. Hailing ROW does not obligate anything. It will tick off the port boat but that is a way to get two or more boat lengths added to your lead. Ducking is the best option and concede a place than loose to those following also.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:25 pm

what about this.

A hails Stb......then B tacks in front of A on the exact same course/heading...having just tacked B has slowed and A is overtyaking from dead astern.

Obviously A must alter course. DoeS B own turns
Doug Wotring

Postby Rick West » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Yep! Even in a leebow move you will loose.

Port solution...know it is coming and get out of the way...this one was lost.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Rick West » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 pm

It has been notice that similar postings are on other such forums and on the same issues. Why?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 am

Once boat B passes head to wind during the tack, rule 10 no longer applies and rule 13 does. If B can complete the tack without violating 13, be it to leeward or ahead of A, boat B is safe.

Edit: I misread Chuck's post. If the port boat pulls off a sucessful lee bow or tacks ahead, the boat on starboard will usually tack away while their air is still clear before they get slowed down by the boat that was on port. Often the tacks are at the same time.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Rick West » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:48 am

Exactly, do it all the time. It is the sail fast thing to do. However, on the starboard lay line and in the circle I do not allow rights to a lee bow boat but they always demand it. They think they can cut in and push you out for the rounding.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:29 pm

rule 13 - Tacking
after a boat passes head to wind, she shall keep clear of other boats until she is on a close-hauled course. Durng that time rules 10, 11, and 12 do not apply. if two boats are subject to theis rule at the same time, the one on the other's port side shall keep clear.

A comment - one common situation - on what Rick West said about boats tacking from port to starboard at marks. One problem is that a port tack boat might be ahead or be even with a starboard tack boat, and the port tack boat boat flops over to starboard just below the layline and close to the mark. He is going to try to squeeze in, but even if there is room for him to do that he never gains starboard tack rights if he never falls down to a close hauled course.

He is slightly below the layline. He "tacks" and shoots the mark while never falling down to a closehauled course. This is one illegal thing that people do. He is coasting along with no rights because he is still tacking and he expects the starboard tack boat to head up to avoid him. The starboard tack boat cannot head down and hit him, but the starboard tack boat can legally hold her course and if by doing that she would hit his transom, then the boat that tacked can be protested.

It is not really splitting hairs. It is the rules of the game, how it is supposed to be played. I did that to Stater this summer - me the port tack boat - and I thought gee I just broke a rule.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi Rick,

I had posted my first rules question and another EC12 sailor thought it would be worth putting on the yahoo rules discssion group.

Chuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rick West</i>

It has been notice that similar postings are on other such forums and on the same issues. Why?

...94 [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Sailing with the RRS