Proper course

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:07 pm

Mike,

Here is the formal wording of rule 17.1.

<i>17.1 If a boat clear astern becomes overlapped within two of her hull lengths
to leeward of a boat on the same tack, she shall not sail above her proper
course while they remain overlapped within that distance, unless in
doing so she promptly sails astern of the other boat. This rule does not
apply if the overlap begins while the windward boat is required by rule
13 to keep clear.</i>

What it means is...

If you are overtaking from clear astern and begin to pass a boat to leeward, and your bow crosses an imaginary line from the weather boats transom, you are no longer the over taking vessel and you then become overlapped and the leeward boat. The rule is designed to protect the weather boat from an immediate tactical move by the now leeward boat who might want to force you up and away from "proper course". The weather boat must keep clear but you are not allowed to sail above proper course.

On the otherhand, if you are overtaking and pass to weather, the leeward boat does have the right to defend.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:19 am

Thanks Chuck. In an overlap situation overtaking to windward, tack away as you're going to get nothing but bad air from the leeward boat plus L is going to defend her position or try to gain leeward rights. If I do get L rights, I cannot force W up but allow W to keep clear. I have to continue to overtake and pass W to gain clear air. It's a tricky situation because you're jammed up in either case. It's probably best to stay windward and tack away. Time to dive back into the sailing tactics book.[:D]

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:27 pm

Mike,

You will see this situation most of the time on the downwind run. In your example, a close hauled leeward boat is already sailing as high as he can unless he gets lifted. He is not allowed to defend by luffing you up in this case. Luffing only is allowed prior to the start signal. Once the race has begun, luffing is no longer allowed. Back to your example, don't tack away because your are concerned he might come up. He is already "up".

Going downwind however, the leeward boat has quite a bit more room to manuever against you when you over take to weather.

Hope this helps,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby tag1945 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Chuck

I'm not sure what you mean by this post:

<i>"Luffing only is allowed prior to the start signal"
"Once the race has begun, luffing is no longer allowed"</i>

Two of the popular definitions of Luffing:

<b>Luffing: Pointing the boat into the wind
Luffing: Sail flapping</b>

A right-a-way Leeward boat, that obtained an overlap within 2 boat lengths and from clear astern of a windward boat, is restricted by rule 17.1 (shall not sail above her proper course while they remain overlapped within that distance). If the leeward boat is able to point higher than the windward on the windward leg, she most certainly can luff up to a close haul course and the windward boat must stay clear. If the Leeward boat's sails were "Luffing" the windward boat would have a good case for protesting the leeward boat for breaking rule 17.1. The Leeward boat would have a tough time explaining how "Luffing" sails are the quickest way to get his/her boat around the course.

Tom
tag1945

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi Tom,

Right.

BTW, What does this mean?

<i>"she most certainly can luff up to a close haul course and the windward boat must stay clear".</i>
I am confused about your use here of <i>"Can Luff Up to a close hauled course"</i>.

But you are correct, If the leeward ROW boat can sail higher than the overlapped weather boat and forces the weather boat to luff, the weather boat must still stay clear.

Looking forward to Charlston, How come you are not on the list Tom? It is only a short drive from Jacksonville.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby tag1945 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:29 pm

Chuck

If a leeward overlapped boat, under rule 17.1, on a windward leg, her quickest way around the course would be close hauled and pointing a high as she could. If she sailed beyond close haul, she would have luffing sails which would be a good indicator that she has sailed above her proper course to windward. If you picture an overtaking boat steering to leeward of a windward boat on a beat, she might sail off the wind to get to leeward for tactical reasons and once she has established an overlap to leeward, she can sail only up to her proper course, (rule 17.1) which would be close hauled on a beat to windward.

The "Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing" by Perry is the book to have!

I could not make the Nationals as I have my two brothers visiting from the west coast. Once a decade!

Enjoy the Nationals. Jacksonville will be well represented!!!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chuck Luscomb</i>

Hi Tom,

Right.

BTW, What does this mean?

<i>"she most certainly can luff up to a close haul course and the windward boat must stay clear".</i>
I am confused about your use here of <i>"Can Luff Up to a close hauled course"</i>.

But you are correct, If the leeward ROW boat can sail higher than the overlapped weather boat and forces the weather boat to luff, the weather boat must still stay clear.

Looking forward to Charlston, How come you are not on the list Tom? It is only a short drive from Jacksonville.

Chuck
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
tag1945

Previous

Return to Sailing with the RRS